Insane amount of hashfails

Mo

I seem to have a problem with uTorrent in that many torrents have hashfails, oftentimes huge numbers of hashfails. One torrent I am downloading now is 350Mb, I've downloaded 2.3Gb already and the number of hashfails is close to 13,000!

I do not think this is related to bad torrents though as it happens on a lot of different torrents, including on torrents that friends were able to download without problems.

I do get the impression that the higher the download speed of the torrent, the more hashfails I get.

I am on a 1Mbit line, but from what I have been told I am quite far from a hub, which may impact my connection. Having said that I only had 67 frames with errors out of some 15 million frames, so doesn't seem to be that bad.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am getting rather annoyed by all of this.

Mo

Your ISP may be hostile towards BitTorrent traffic, although causing you to download MORE per torrent doesn't seem in their best interest...unless they hope you give up quickly.

It could be hostile ips. These tend to fall in a narrow range, with something like 38.100.x.x being the most popular. (I don't trust the ENTIRE 38.x.x.x block!)

But you may have already ruled that out.

So that leaves something like a D-Link router in DMZ 'gaming' mode corrupting your data...on your end or on the end of the sender/s who are feeding you bad data.

Not using a router, just a ADSL modem (BIPAC-7001). A friend is using the same one, and the same ISP, but not experiencing the same problems.

Not checked those IPs yet, but the numbers don't ring a bell. Can't check now as I am at work.

I did just read that PeerGuardian is a 'problem child'. Could this be an issue?

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I've solved the problem. I've been having serious problems connecting to the Internet as well and changed my USB modem to a router last Friday. Since then no problems connecting and no hash fails.

Mo

Archived