Hardware Mulfunction

flare83

I seem to have a bit of a problem with utorrent on my computer. Basically, when running utorrent after between 10-30minutes I get the dreaded blue screen with the following message:

Hardware Malfunction

Call Your Hardware vendor for support

NMI: Priority Check/Memory Parity Error

***The system has halted***

Now this ONLY happens when running utorrent but seems to occur a bit more often if I try running IE or playing music. I suspect there is some conflict going on but I have no idea how to find out what it is.

I have recently upgraded to the most recent (BETA) utorrent but still the problem occurs.

I have the following system:

Dell Pentium 4 (3GHZ)

1gig RAM

Windows XP SP2

F-Spot Anti Virus

I've been through the FAQs and don't have any of the dodgy software listed except for two issues:

1. My router is a NETGEAR DG834Gv2 but have reduced my global connections but still the crashing occurs.

2. I have an NVIDEA (sp?) video card but I don't think I have this as a firewall (I use the windows firewall).

I have also tried running in safe mode (still crashes if utorrent is used), am fully updated in Windows, run spyware checks (Adaware), reduced the amount of stuff on my hardrive (146gb with with now 30% capacity). I also thought it may be the computer overheating but

Basically, I do really like utorrent, find it very user friendly and up until a month or two ago it was running very well with quick downloads and low CPU usage. I tried doing a system restore to when it was running okay but not luck.

Has anyone seen/heard of similar problems. Can anyone recommend any solutions/further diagnostic techniques. I have fairly basic/intermediate computer knowledge so go easy!

Cheers,

Dave

So why does this only occur when utorrent is running? I thought it wasn't a particular memory hog. Are there any tests I can run to confirm there is something physically wrong with the RAM?

I looked at the error log in Windows and it says:

Hangingapplication IEXPLORE>EXE, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x000000000

Not sure whether that sheds any light?

Damn big coincidence. Its happened 15-20 times and always within 30 minutes of starting to run utorrent. I'll try running this MemTest this weekend when I'm away (don't want my computer humming away all night keeping me up). Thanks :-)

Archived