Buffalo WBMR-G54 modem/router causing problems?

Chris9620

Hi!

I recently went wireless. i bought a Buffalo WBMR-G54 modem/router.

now my speeds are all slow and sometimes nonexistant in utorrent. I've made a Static IP address, and Port Forwarded, and it says my port is accepting incoming connections. But my speeds are still slow, and sometimes my torrents read- offline (timed out) or - connection closed by peer. it seems to me that my new router is stopping me from giving data out, thus the timeout errors. (but that could be untrue, its just what it seems to me).

Does anyone know what i should do? are there any settings in my Router/utorrent that i should have changed? I was going to update the Routers firmware to DD-WRT, but then discovered that it doesn't work with Modem/routers!

Any help will be appreciated greatly. I can't live without utorrent!!!

Cheers

Chris

Edit:

Okay, so after some more messing, the timeout errors and connection closed by peers has stopped.

Still getting really slow speeds (20-25Kb/s, when before I was wireless it was more like 180-250Kb/s) So i assume I have to tweak some Router settings (again, i'm assuming, it could be ANYTHING). problem is, I know nothing about routers!!! Any help?

Ta

Wireless connections generally cannot go as fast or with as many ip-to-ip connections at once as wired connections. If there's also a USB connector as the last 'leg' of the communication link to your computer, it gets even worse...immensely moreso if it's USB v1.0 or v1.1!

Try Ultima's troubleshooting FAQ here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

I've started getting the -connection closed by peer and -offline (timed out) messages again, though. Surely that means it has nothing to do with the fact that i'm wireless??? also, would there be as significant loss as what i'm seeing? 10-20% of what i had before, surely there has to be another explanation?

Thanks, though for your help.

If i got a PCI network card would it improve, assuming that is the problem?

Hi!

thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I don't really know what settings I should be changing. can you tell me what settings you want to lower? (And what would be considered 'conservative'). the 'advanced' tab scares me a bit! don't want to change something i shouldn't!!!

Thanks

Archived