Crashing and Error Report

tyciol

The past couple days out of the blue, uTorrent just gives an error message whenever I try to run it. It's pretty frustrating because I had several downloads midway done...

Should I attach a copy of the error reports being sent to Microsoft since they usually take too long to do things?

It sounds like file- or directory-corruption. Do you have Norton WinDoctor or something similar? Or:

My Computer > right-click Local Disk C: > Properties > Tools > Error-checking ....

Click the Check Now button. It'll say it can't, but would you like to do it during the next restart. Choose yes.

The file corruption sounds right. I store all my torrent partials (and fulls until I put them on my external) in a folder called 'Net Ants' (I used to use that, haven't for over a year though lol). Whenever I try to open that folder my windows explorer crashes (but luckily comes back in seconds, just everything open including IE is closed) but this doesn't happen with any other folders.

What's hard to figure is if it's a utorrent file that does it when I open the folder, or something in the folder or the folder itself, that responds when utorrent tries to read its partials in that file.

XP with SP2, I figured Windows Updates would happen automatically but I'll go check now. I'm not sure what net.max_halfopen is... what program would I find the Preferences in? Is it in uTorrent? I wouldn't be able to find out since I can't open the program. Not sure how to find the TCPIP.sys limit, does it say somewhere on that site you linked to how to find it?

The tool available in the downloads page tells you what the limit is set to (you don't have to change the limit). If you're not sure what net.max_halfopen is, then chances are, you've never touched it... Can you go to Start > Run > eventvwr.msc and check if you see any event with ID 4226?

Archived