Passkey Problems

Dirk Granite

Good Evening -

Current Setup -

Utorrent 1.6.1

WinXP Pro

I belong(ed) to a private torrent site. I was banned for having a 2 different passkeys on the same IP. I am not sure what a passkey is, or how to change it, but I cant find it referenced in the OPTIONS.

I DL and Seed torrents from both the Private community and whenI cant find what I am looking for there i also DL from a public community.

Is there anyway, in some options settings that my passkey could change?

I had DHT disabled, but I did notice that I had DHT enabled for New Torrents...

Any help or thoughts on how a passkey can change would be greatly appreciative.

***JUST ADDED***

I did change my password on the private site a few days ago and resumed seeding my old torrents without downloading newer torrent files. Could those old torrents be the culprit?

Thanks -

Dirk

Usually your passkey is embedded in the announce, like this:

hxxp://tracker.privatesite.com/some36bytepasskey/announce

You could have picked up someone else's passkey if someone shared one of their torrents and you picked it up. Sometimes, a noob will post their private key on a site like TorrentSpy. Then another member of that same system comes along and downloads the .torrent file from there and bingo -- two different passkeys coming from the same IP.

It can also happen if you have another household member that uses the same site.

EDIT by silverfire: Changed the http part to hxxp - it was setting off the forum's link replacement, which is fail :P

Thanks -

I checked all my old Torrent files and you were right - the passkey was embedded inside the torrent. When I had a problem with my account, I changed my password and it seems my passkey was changed on the site as well. All of my old torrents show the old passkey and all of the new torrents that I downloaded shows the new passkey. It looks like I was seeding torrents with the old(Bad) passkey when I brought Utorrent back up in addition to the new torrents with the correct passkey. Thats what the problem was.

Thank you for your help. You guys were very helpful. Heh - Im still banned from the private site, but at least I know I what happened now.

Dirk

Archived