Peer Download rate?

sushi

I've been using utorrent for years with default setting and have never had speed problems before (or at least i thought so).

I have dsl 3mbits download and i think 384k upload. When there it a decent amount of seeders my download speed goes up to 370kB/sec with 25kB/sec upload, so never bothered to tweak the settings.

However i'm currently downloading BECK and it's really draggining. I'm conected to 5 seeds out of 8 (6 in swarm), and 6 out of 23 peers (14 in swarm). The arrow is blue. ALl i get is about 10kB/s, sometimes it will go to 25, or drop to 5, but on average it's 10. I'm downloading sometihing else as well (only at 50 thou), so the upload is not about 7-8 for this, but even when i was downloading only this, with 25 upload left for BECK, the download speed was uneffected.

Anyway, i really dragged out this post, what i wanted to know (didn't find this in faq, or help) was the exact definition of "Peer download rate". Is that what the selected peer's speed of download for the particular torrent is, or just his maximum speed? Because while i'm getting scraps like 10-15 kB/s download, while uploading @ 25kB/s, for some pople it says they are downloading 200 and even 400 kB/s??? Is that right?

the exact definition of "Peer download rate"

It's the estimated current download rate of the remote peer.

Because while i'm getting scraps like 10-15 kB/s download, while uploading @ 25kB/s, for some pople it says they are downloading 200 and even 400 kB/s??? Is that right?

Yup.

Though I think there is one bug in this feature, can be observed especially while downloading big multifile packs and it occurs when somebody begins download the pack (he has 0.0% of the torrent) and next he gets an idea "hey, I've got some files of this already on hdd and I can seed them while downloading those I don't have". He stops (pause) the torrent, copy the data, rehash the torrent, and restart it - suddenly increasing his downloaded percentage to, let's say 20%... while his peer download rate going absolutely cosmic :)

Archived