How does uTorrent choose which seed to start?

gglibertine

I'm just curious -- I've been watching uTorrent, trying to figure out how it picks the next seed to start when another one completes. Is it just random? I thought it might be based on some particular criterion -- seed ratio, or the number of active seeds on that torrent, or the ratio of peers to seeds, or something.

It's not important, I just wondered. Sometimes there's a torrent with no active seeds, but when a slot opens up, uTorrent starts seeding something else -- is there any way to tell uTorrent to prioritize a particular torrent, other than by using Force Start?

I believe Lord Alderaan posted his observations on the criteria used to pick the next torrent job to seed, but I can't seem to find it anymore (though his post may be a bit outdated, since it doesn't take the new peer:seed ratio options into account).

In my observations I merely noticed it picked torrents based on their ratio. Queued seed with lowest ratio gets picked for seeding, is seeded to above 1 and then queued again for the next lowest. But I dunno if its still so and if I was correct in the first placed. I merely observed it while normally using µtorrent myself. I never actually researched it and for example checked if my settings had anything to do with it.

Archived