Problem with UTorrent 1.7.2 huge memory usage on Windows Vista x32

emkata

Hi guys,

I have big problem with Utorrent under windows vista ultimate x32. I'm using latest utorrent 1.7.2 version and when i start downloading a torrent the memory usage becomes enormous (about 96-97%). The ram usage becomes normal up to minute after the downloading finishes. I'm with 2GB ram and default Disk Cache settings in Utorrent options. I will post a printsreen of disk cache setting and i hope you to help me with optimizing system performance.

Thanks for help in advance and have a nice day! :)

utorrentdiskcachesettinfp9.jpg

I have a related problem (2GB machine). While I download files with uTorrent, Superfetch is thrashing the disk for hours. It's obsessed with keeping the files I download, usually large ones, in memory.

It's possible that uTorrent (and other P2P programs) that read and update files all the time are interacting badly with Superfetch. Someone should tell MS.

I work on the support for "a major software company" so I have some knowledge of Vista. I have the same problem and have been poking around. It is not the utorrent process that uses the memory. Actually it is no process at all. SuperFetch could be the culprit but Im not sure since Ive been trying to disable it in every way I can but still get the same problem. It must me something in the kernel that's for sure since no process uses the memory. Network drivers is not likely since the same problem occurs with 2 different NICs. Could be the network-stack.

Since the memory is used by the kernel it has silly priority and as soon as the memory is fully used up EVERYTHING will get swapped out including GUI so even the cursor will stop until the speed goes down (and if it is outgoing data it might never and you may have to restart your computer)

A friend of mine who is a programmer said something about programs using "low priority I/O" will not get cached.. perhaps if uTorrent would implement this the problem would dissapear?

Archived