Disk Overload when downloading fast

fferraz

Hey people, I know this answer has been answered quite some times now but I haven't seen any definitve solution for this. (and yes, I've read the FAQ for Disk Cache settings but that didn't really help)

Well, I use uTorrent 1.6.1 on a 100/100 Mbps server and everytime the download speed goes over 4 MB/s, it seems like uTorrent can't handle. The write cache starts filling up and when it's over 80 MB the upload speed goes down to 0 and download speed becomes slower too (although it keeps high, like 6 to 7 MB/s). I have to pause the torrent, wait till the cache is down to 0 and start over again, otherwise uTorrent crashes and everything slows down.

I already really tried almost all combinations of settings on the Disk Cache options but none seems to fix the problem. Right now I'm using the current:

I've checked every box except "Write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes" and "Remove old blocks from cache".

The server specs are: Pentium IV 2.4 GHz / 512 MB RAM / 40 GB 7200 RPM IDE-HDD / Windows 2003 Web Edition

Is there a final solution for this? Is the pc that weak and won't handle the write speed so I should be happy downloading at 4 MB/s??

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Well I did that and tested with a very well seeded torrent. Both with 256 and 128 MB filled very fast the Write cache and gave me the message of Disk Overload when coming to the end of the cache.

But 128 MB seems like a better setting. It seems that uTorrent was able to handle better when it was close to 100% of the cache. I don't know. The upload speed still came down to almost 0 though. :-/

Yep, the windows caching bug all over again. :(

If you figure out ANY settings that work noticeably better than the others, tell the developers of µTorrent here...so maybe they can fix the part of the problem within their grasp.

...More than likely though, it's a problem with Windows itself...it probably doesn't like random reads+writes to files at greater than 1 MegaBYTES/sec speeds. :(

...and that we can't fix. :(

Hom come you can't fix?? Get Firon in the M$ team RIGHT NOW! :P

I'll keep on trying different settings. One thing that do helps is to let the cache fill a bit, pause the torrent, let the cache go to 0 again and then start the torrent again. It seems that after you do that the cache becomes better.

Oddly enough, I've transferred from my computer to... my computer at greater than 4MB/s without disk overloading. Same drive too, so that's a combined rate of 8MB/s up and down. I am inclined to believe it's a Windows cache problem too (as that's what others have said about this problem before as well), but it's out of my range of knowledge, really, since I don't mess with or pay much attention to the cache.

Archived