can you forward a port for utorrent witout control of the router?

the_ellimist

I'm in a college dorm so I can't change the router settings. I've heard you can get it to work through a proxy, specifically with the Socks protocol, but haven't been able to get it working. The router's allowing connections fine (I'm getting them but without the port forwarded the speeds are horrifically slow) so I think it's just a matter of allowing other ppl to connect to me. Does anyone know how?

If your port is not properly forwarded, you're firewalled. Other people CANNOT connect to you (like they're making the phonecall and you're answering). You can only make outgoing connections to peers and seeds that are not firewalled.

Most proxies won't change that, you'll still be firewalled with them too.

Read carefully about your college's bandwidth daily/monthly usage quotas! People have lost all internet access rights just due to overusing their connection.

update: i was assuming that the port was not properly forwarded because the symbol at the bottom of the screen would alternate between a yellow triangle and a red circle. The usual annoyances I so hated when I first set up the program. But I ran the test and it says the port is properly forwarded. Speed tests say I should be getting about 90 kB/s (700ish kbps) but I still am getting only around 10 kB/s. Any theories? I'll try restarting later.

The port test isn't a definitive answer in the case of a LAN you don't control. I've come across numerous cases where the network is setup with all ports "open", but they are really just dead ends that are useless. Unless you have UPnP enabled, and they accept UPnP, this is the likely case (which means the port isn't forwarded to you). The one exception that I can think of would be if your college has it's own IANA assigned IP address range, in which case it is basically an ISP, though I doubt this.

Run "cmd /k ipconfig". What does it say for IP Address?

What is your download speed with the first Slackware torrent (see signature)?

Most universities and colleges share a bunch of computers on the same internet ip. In short, they're permanently firewalled.

They also tend to throttle file-sharing in the extreme because they don't have the bandwidth for everyone (or even 10% of everyone!) to be doing it at once.

If you believe you are throttled, see if the speeds decrease dramatically when reducing total connections to less than 40 total.

Archived