Zonealarm/utorrent

iceman219

i recently upgraded to utorrent from ABC. everything was running perfectly w/ ABC, but after i installed utorrent and PG2, every couple of hours zonealarm (free edition) would generate an error message and say it would need to be restarted (the program, not the pc; it'd work fine for a cpl hours then do it again).

after encountering it the first time, i assumed it had something to do w/ PG2, so i uninstalled that. no effect. the only other hypothesis that i can think of is that there are a lot more connections run w/ utorrent vs ABC, so i downsized the number of global connections to 575. za still does it, though.

any suggestions?

@µtorrent-Guest: Normally, when people say something is "da shit," they mean it's awesome... which I think you don't mean xD

And yes, ZoneAlarm is stupid. TrueVector keeps crashing with P2P. And your settings suck too. Don't use 575 connections unless you have some megafast upload bandwidth. Run the Speed Guide properly.

• 3 weeks later...

@ultima

OK, so why is uTorrent 1.7.2 crashing with the latest ZoneAlarm (full version), but the 1.6.x versions aren't?

After a few hours with uTorrent 1.7.2, ZoneAlarm crashes as mentioned above.

Revert back to uTorrent 1.6, start back up the same torrent, and it runs just fine for days...

And relying only on Windows firewall is even more stupid...

I have as little obligation to explain the problem as you have to explain this very old thread where the problem was occurring even on 1.6. If you want someone to explain it to you, go bug CheckPoint, not me; I'm not the developer. If you want to tell me with definitive proof that it's a problem with 1.7.x, then convince me that it didn't happen in 1.6 (not gonna happen, considering the fact that I've just linked to one of many threads like that).

And relying on Windows Firewall for inbound protection isn't stupid; it performs its job blocking unauthorized incoming connections perfectly well. Relying on a software firewall for outbound protection isn't bright, but I'm not gonna get into a whole debate on that.

Archived