uTorrent on BitTorrent Routers

hypernetics

Rather than having your PC on 24/7, people are now buying 'smart/multi-function' routers, that have USB connections and BitTorrent download capabilites (like the ASUS WL-500g Premium).... SOUNDS GREAT!!!!..... Except... the integrated software is absolutley CRAP!!!

Been using uTorrent for some time and I love it...

:::Is it possible to get a uTorrent version to sit on a USB drive and run when the PC is off, as the internet connection is always running:::

Others are using 3rd party Firmware, including OpenWRT & C-torrent to achieve this kinda thing. But a even a stripped down/basic version of uTorrent, would be a million times better....

This is the future of Torrenting :) (its also eco-friendly not having your PC on 24/7)

I look forward to your response... and the ides/comments of others :)

:::Is it possible to get a uTorrent version to sit on a USB drive and run when the PC is off, as the internet connection is always running:::

Others are using 3rd party Firmware, including OpenWRT & C-torrent to achieve this kinda thing. But a even a stripped down/basic version of uTorrent, would be a million times better....

That would require a linux version of µTorrent. Therefore consider it was an earlier rejected request =)

Thanks for the quick reply... All PC's connected to the router are XP...

I was also under the impression Utorrent now works on Linux, if that's what's required?

I have an old standalone version of Utorrent (1.6.1) that works sweet running from the usb drive when the PC is on, but then closes on shutdown of the PC. Can this be by-passed? So it constantly runs??

Peace ;)

All PC's connected to the router are XP...

How's that related when you want to run uTorrent while the PC is off?

I was also under the impression Utorrent now works on Linux, if that's what's required?

Only on x86-compatible processors and only under Wine. Home routers are typically built on non-x86 compatible processors and anyway they do not have sufficient resources to run any kind of windows/x86 emulation.

I have an old standalone version of Utorrent (1.6.1) that works sweet running from the usb drive when the PC is on, but then closes on shutdown of the PC. Can this be by-passed? So it constantly runs??

Pretty simple - do not shutdown the PC.

Archived