Unstable upload speed

refaelsh

My guess is you're running with so few upload slots that oftentimes they go idle because they're trying to upload to peers on really horrible ISPs. You probably have "use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%" so it recovers pretty quickly, but the problem repeats every few seconds/minutes.

You might be correct. I had 2 slots in my settings instead of the 3 that were recommended by the speed guide. I set it to 2 in the first place to try to battle this problem. I saw it being recommended in some other post, but I can't find it now...

I will try and set it back again to 3 and see what happens.

Thank you Switeck.

Azureus speed calculator does that. But I don't agree that the lower-end broadband connections should reduce their upload slots below 3 unless they're giving out less than 1 KiloBYTE/sec per upload slot.

Have you tried setting the alternate upload speed while not downloading to 8 or 9 KiloBYTES/sec?

(I'm just wanting to know if that runs stable while only seeding.)

I did set it back to 3 upload slots and strangely it became stable again... Then what is the reason that it was unstable before?

EDIT: became unstable again! http://picasaweb.google.com/refaelsh/Misc/photo#5105424791655632290

What is causing, damn it?

Here how it looks when I have set the alternate upload speed while not downloading to 10kbyte/s: http://picasaweb.google.com/refaelsh/Misc/photo#5105282215921274258

So it does runs stable when it is seeding.

Azureus speed calculator does that. ---> I don't understand, does what?

Azureus has a webpage called speed calculator to come up with supposedly "good" bittorrent client settings. I don't agree with their numbers. For dial-up and low-end 'broadband', the suggested numbers are very bad.

It looks like the torrents you're trying to get...you're just NOT connecting to peers.

Have you tried disabling Resolve IPs in the PEERS window?

(This frees up more bandwidth for uploading and downloading.)

What's your half open connection rate set to?

(The default value is 8, but that may be too much for your connection! 4 may be better.)

You may have other programs on your computer that are hurting your networking performance. That's my best guess.

How µTorrent chooses upload slots and actually uploads may be a big factor in this problem. That much may be a bug of sorts with low-end "broadband" upload speeds. I typically have to have 3-6 upload slots active to keep my ~40 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed maxed out.

Either that, or your ISP is monkeying with your line, possibly BitTorrent throttling...but it seems so mild compared to your max speed, I wonder why they bother. I don't deem that likely, but thought I'd mention it.

Archived