help with port forwarding

rilo76

This is my first go on .torrent downloading and I am in desperate need of help. I cannot properly configure my ports to remove the triangle, and achieve good speed with utorrent. I am an XP user, using only windows firewall, connected directly to Hawking HWR54G wireless router. I am not wireless, I am direct connected. The Hawking is connected to Motorola SB5101 cable modem. I have tried everything in the help, tutorials and forums to get better speed (currently 10-12kB). My cable is 512 K. Any help would be much appreciated. I just dont know what else to try! I have configured my ports 3 times using portforward, and cant get any change in speed. plz help a newbie....

tnx-rilo

while downloading, what kB/s should i be seeing? I have been as fast as ~70, but normally less than 10kB/s. I have speed tested my connection, while NOT connected to utorrent, 594 Kb/s, while connected, 352 Kb/s. Note I did differentiate between Kb/s and kB/s. I have the troublesome Surfboard sb5101 from Motorola, and have found that DHCP is enabled. I have been told to request from ISP they reconfigure to turn DHCP off.

I have that troublesome triangle at the bottom, and when I check my port, it says it is not open. Can this be caused by the DHCP issue? If not, what else can I try? I have followed the portforward guide three times, to the letter! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Your support is great, just too technical for my newbie brain!

tnx-rilo

What is your UPLOAD SPEED as measured by speed tests?

Your download speed is not the same as your upload speed...and µTorrent is configured based on your upload speed.

Speed tests should only be run when there is nothing else accessing the internet...this INCLUDES active torrents in µTorrent as well as µTorrent's DHT features.

My upload speed is 250kb/s average over 5 tests, different locations. This was while utorrent was shut down, no other internet applications running. With this information, what setting should I use for speed guide,xx/64 or other? Also, what download speeds should I expect? I have ordered a new cable modem to avoid the Motorola SURFboard issue. As I said before, I am paying for 512 service.......but probably not getting the full 512, I am sure!

Tnx for all your help....rilo

Ok, then what speed should I see when downloading a file? I average 12-17 kB/s. It seems that I should be faster than that? I also still have the yellow triangle on the bottom, and when I test my port, it is not working??? Like I said, I have followed the portforward guide repeatedly, just seems to not be fast enough, or I am too impatient! If it should be faster, what else can I try?

tnx-rilo

I'd need to know exactly what connections are on that torrent, how fast they are, what OTHER torrents they're running, what their settings are...before I could tell you for certain what download speeds you should be getting.

Are you reaching and sustaining the upload speed max set in µTorrent?

If not, download speeds will be crippled still.

And of course there can always be the issue of your ISP possibly throttling BitTorrent traffic.

ok, i have done a TON more research and realize the info you would need to give a reply to the speed i should see....and that it is not feasible to provide that, as it changes with each torrent. but, i have also connected to, sorry, azureus, and am not having the same problems as i do with utorrent (which i would rather use, due to recommendations from friends!). dont get me wrong, i am NOT knocking utorrent, i just wanted to cross-check between both programs to try to narrow down my problem. i have ordered new cable modem to get away from the SURFboard from motorola. when it arrives, i will try the process from scratch and we shall see, said the blindman! thanks for all your help and i will post when i get up and running with new modem, maybe i can track it down and give a little knowledge back!

rilo

Archived