utorrent port test with a BT Home Hub

kinetik_uk

Hey, after a headache of a morning/afternoon, I have the need to ask advice for the following:

I have recently installed the latest version of this fine program which has been serving me very well for the past 3 yrs. I have also recently changed ISP's to BT broadband, which comes with a brand new spanking home hub and 8 meg connection instead of my previous 4 mb conn. I have tweaked ut to optimal settings, used TCP Optimizer to tweak the conn and port forwarded after dialling into my router. After all of these shenanigans it seems that i can only receive a maximum download speed of 100-200 kBps which is sporadic to say the least - after a 10 hr stint on ut - i haven't even finished d/ling a 700mb file... :(

Utorrent won't recognise that a port has ben set and at the very best i receive a yellow warning symbol instead of a green circle that tells me that all network issues are ok...

i need a hand, anyone please help... i have only a few hairs left....

hey bro - just checked the Bad ISP list and BT Broadband is listed throttling traffic - F*()ing British Telecom eh? still i'm on a mission trying for the 5th time to map a different port for utorrent on the router.

PS What Firewall(s) have you got installed? i've got AVG and have got the firewall enabled on the router...

The answer is dont use the home hub. It just wont work properly, i have one in the cupboard and thats where its staying. I checked the 'savings' from using it and they're frankly a pittance. In addition to loosing torrents you have two phones and its just crap.

BT only throttle in the evening, if you have torrents on 24/7 you wont notice much. So buy a new router, just check its not a bad one before hand. I got mine off ebay for £4 plus p&p, incidentally its a BT Voyager 2091!

• 1 year later...

I am having the same F#@king trouble. Also I find the range with the BT is bull.

If i buy a netgear router will I be able to use it instead of my BT router? or will I run into trouble with BT? I am looking at a Netgear WNR854T RangeMax Next Wireless N Router - Gigabit Edition router to replace my BT one. I like downloading and switched to BT for a faster connection.

I was also told to turn on the encryption in utorrent but don't know how any help? And to change the port to 25 or 8080?

Thanks for the help. much appreciated.

Archived