Memory usage analysis

blubb

Hi folks,

I'm using uTorrent on my laptop (for energy saving concerns). The problem with it: It is an older one and it only has little memory (512 MB). So in uTorrent I reduced the cache size to as low as 4 MB and even tried to disable caching for file reads and writes completely. However, RAM gets filled to 100% every time I download big files. Loading and switching between applications *really* gets very slowly. Today I created a chart using WebTemp and there are interesting things going on:

utorrentgg8.png

Somehow the actual file cache size does not rise very much (I verified this with task manager). But still you can clearly see the physical RAM being filled to 100%, Windows obviously flushing it and the filling continues. In task manager uTorrent roughly used only some few megabytes, so I still think Windows is the problem.

Is there a way to force flushing the cache (or whatever it is that is eating up memory) more thoroughly?

The developers are currently working bufferless disk IO into µTorrent, which should (hopefully) get around the Windows cache being stupid. I'm not sure if all the bugs have been fixed for it, but the last I heard, alus (one of the devs) was making good progress on hammering out standing issues in bufferless IO.

I'm still not sure what actually happens. The file cache does not grow as much as the allocated RAM does. I tried to write a small tool that uses the FlushFileBuffers API on the whole volume every 20 seconds. But still the RAM gets filled to the brim.

Well, I guess only Microsoft knows... maybe.

Let's be patient. :-)

Archived