DHT problems ...

Reverie

okie my old router the D-Link DI-514 got fried while I was running 23 torrents... don't know if it was the Utorrent's fault though...

but now... I got a D-Link DI-624S REV B1 F/W 1.00 and if DHT is enabled the router slows to a halt after a few hrs and everything that uses the internet drops dead... I've TCP/UDP 7500 forwarded and Utorrent has the Network OK status... so... is it just that my router isn't capable handling DHT or did I do something wrong?

the problem here might be that many consumer-level routers are just not capable of handling the amount of traffic a p2p client can produce :/ not sure if this is your case tho but 23 torrents...hmmm.. that can be a lot of connections.. + DHT...

my own experience tells lock-ups can be a firmware issue as well. some have told the cure was to find a cooler place for the router. go figure...

jaxyouthna

I had it set for TCP 7500 forwarded in the virtual server settings for the DI-514 for 192.168.0.100 which is set in DHCP for this computer and upnp enabled in utorrent... it sometimes says network ok sometimes it says ok upnp 7500

aadu

it's already cool to the touch...

Reverie

How did you know when your Dl-514 was fried? I have a suspicion that mine might also be fried after reading what Firon posted. Could the virtual server of the router be bad/inconsistent in forwarding the ports to the static IP and still "work" (i.e. come on and light up?). I have noticed that it takes a long time for my NAT error to develop. Does anyone know what the threshold is to trigger the NAT error (success vs. attempts?)

d-link router's virtual server function is unreliable, you need to use a direct firewall rule.

d-link routers also have various other problems, crashing with wireless <-> wired communication, really bad DMZ mode, not very good handling of UDP packets...

So true, Firon... BUT you can get it to work. I know I have, and I abuse my di-624 extensively :D

A word of advice for those with D-Link routers: ditch the "Virtual Server" and don't use UPnP (disable it, yes). Firmware and driver upgrades are usually recommendable but I've seen plenty of cases where an older version is more stable than new ones. Unfortunately you have to try out what's best for your particular system. Wireless just makes everything even more sensitive and susceptible to failure. The heat thing is true, put it standing on its end for improved cooling. Some have also said the power supply is under rated which can explain instability. There is no single cause for reboots and problems, there was a nice thread on dslreports about all this but I lost it unfortunately.

hmmn for the DI-624S REVB1 only has firmware 1.0 for the upnp do I disable the router's support for it or the upnp in Utorrent... If I ditch the virtual server does that mean that I open the port for in firewall settings only? I have the router standing up vertically....

hmmn for the DI-624S REVB1 only has firmware 1.0 for the upnp do I disable the router's support for it or the upnp in Utorrent...

Disable in both, yes. That's my recommendation.

If I ditch the virtual server does that mean that I open the port for in firewall settings only?

Yes. Use the Advanced->Firewall page.

I have the router standing up vertically....

Good for you :)This guy went as far as putting on a heat sink, air conditioned cooling and alluminum foil wraping :D

Note to mods: quotes added for clarity.

Check <enabled>

Name <whatever>

Action <allow>

Source <WAN> IP Range start <*>

Destination <LAN> IP Range start <your internal IP>

Protocol <*>

Port range <port in uTorrent>

Schedule <always>

Then click <apply> button. Rebooting the router is not necessary but it doesn't hurt.

On that same configuration page if you see something like

dlink2gg.jpg

then your router is good and the problem is elsewhere. Search the forums for NAT error, there are other possibilities.

@Kan5478: Yes, delete your config in "Virtual Server", it's worthless and is bound to create problems.

Yeah, the virtual server sucks. It doesn't do anything by itself unless it is also allowed under firewall settings. My experience has been that the firewall settings aren't always sufficient either. I use UPNP on mine and it's the only way to get ports forwarded as it opens the port(s) in the firewall settings (you can see it) and does the proper forwarding. Don't remember the model #, but mine is the 54g (not the 108). The key is to make sure Windows can identify your router as an upnp enabled device. If not, the UPNP won't do any good for you.

for some reason just opening the firewall doesn't work...

utorrent6qu.jpg

utorrent21rp.jpg

I've disabled both UPNP on Utorrent and on the router

utorrent33br.jpg

on the DI-624S it has to be virtual server to get the network OK status... arrgggg.... or it's just NAT error or Listen error...

utorrent17ry.jpg

arrgg.... and it keeps locking up that browsers can't get online also... this router doesn't have the gaming mode my dead DI-514 had.....

another thing is that I'm getting flooded with UDP Nat Sessions when DHT is off... and the target IP isn't even my computer

utorrent43ub.jpg

utorrent58ni.jpg

Archived