IPfilter.dat not working

Mouser X

I did a search about banning IPs, and everyone of them said to use the "ipfilter.dat" file. The problem is, to the best of my knowledge, I have set up this text file correctly. Nonetheless, the IPs I have listed are not being banned. Could I please recieve a more thourough explanation on how to use this, or help on getting it to work? What I've done so far is to put µTorrent.exe into its own directory. Then, inside that directory I have created a text file called "ipfilter.dat" which contains, and I quote, "4.244.120.135 - 4.244.120.145" and nothing more. I have the ipfilter thingy turned on in the advanced options, and it still doesn't load it. So, I then copied the ipfilter.dat file to a subdirectory inside µTorrent's directory called "uTorrent" and it still isn't loading the file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mouser X over and out.

Thank you for your help. µTorrent doesn't do a good job of telling you where its settings are saved (at least, not to me). I'm sorry for my outburst. I was going to edit my message, but I got disconnected. I'm glad that somebody explained it in more detail than the FAQ, because that wasn't helping.

Again, thank you. Out of all the BitTorrent clients I've used, µTorrent has been the best (aside from BitTornado, but that opens way to many windows, and gets to making things a big mess on my desktop). So far, it's been working great. I'm really impressed to see it run so well, with so little behind it. Keep up the great work. Mouser X over and out.

From the FAQ:

-------------------------------

What is ipfilter.dat?

This is a simple text file that specifies IP ranges to block. The format is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Do not pad IPs with 0s to ensure that it will work (i.e., write 64.12.15.0 not 064.012.015.000), though it is reported to work anyway.

Place it in %AppData%\uTorrent, and set ipfilter.enable to true in the Advanced Options.

To reload ipfilter.dat without restarting µTorrent, simple set ipfilter.enable to false, then to true again.

-------------------------------

Other than saying "use Run" to get to %AppData%\uTorrent ... how was the FAQ not helpful? (sorry to seem cynical but I would think you'd ask "how do I get to %AppData%\uTorrent ?" if you'd really FAQ'd it)

Judging from his post, it did seem like Mouser X did read the FAQ. He said he placed the ipfilter.dat in the same directory as utorrent.exe, and even in a directory called utorrent that was in the directory where utorrent.exe was. Mouser X just didn't understand that %appdata% was an environment variable, but rather, thought that it meant the name of the folder that you placed utorrent.exe in.

I personally don't use ipfilter.dat, but find it odd that it doesn't work when you place it in the same directory as utorrent.exe. I recall that originally, ipfilter.dat had to be in the location as utorrent.exe. Also, what if someone wants to use it in a thumb drive? Really odd (assuming that Mouser X's experience isn't isolated -- again, I wouldn't know since I don't use the feature).

Archived