Norton Firewall Port Opening

Brisar

Hi to you all

I have recently uninstalled the free AVG virus checker (I used the Windows firewall) and installed Norton Internet Security 2008 with Windows firewall now switched off.

Now no matter what I seem to do I cannot get Utorrent to recognize an open port which badly affects download speeds.

Anyone able to give simple instructions? I am using XP SP 2, no router and connect with Virgin broadband vis cable modem.

All was well before Norton so any help greatfully appreciated (it is now not a good time to quit smoking!)

Regards hopefully

Brisar

Thanks for prompt reply, but I have followed this from the Portforward site and it makes no difference. I have generated several different port numbers in Utorrent and carried out the procedure for each in turn. Unfortunately nothing seems to work.

Can you recommend a firewall and virus checker package that will work?

Briasar

If your router etc. has a hardware firewall, then a software firewall might not even be required. People have got Comodo to work AFAIK. Look here (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=7862) for more.

Frankly, the Windows firewall does its job properly as well.

P.S. Anything but ZoneAlarm, please! Or you'll only end up coming back to this forum repeatedly. :/

P.P.S. Re. a good AV, I use NOD32. No idea about anything else. YMMV.

• 7 months later...

I use NIS 2008 and have no problems. I let the firewall set rules automatically and once I forwarded the port in my router and turned off upnp and nat in utorrent, everything was fine. I didn't have to turn anything on or off in the firewall. Stealth ports is still on. If you're not using a router, you may have to look at the firewall rule that was created for utorrent and edit it to always allow connections.

Archived