Secure Music Listening/Streaming

Reaper005

Hey guys! There's a couple things I wanted to know about, and hopefully someone can help me. I always loved the password feature in WinRAR that not only allowed you to keep files from being extracted, but you could also keep the file names/structures encrypted and unable to be seen without the password, being able to keep any number of things in that file without fear of being found out (pron hiding, anyone?). You could access the files directly from the archive, so you wouldn't need to worry about extracting things before use and needing to delete them afterwards.

My inquiry involves doing the same thing, except with music. I have a modest amount of indie music (legally distributed albums/songs, of course) on a file/media server, and I stream it over the network using Winamp. There are several other people who all simultaneously try to stream and copy things from my server over the wireless connection, and it's starting to bog down the network. All of them are very tech savvy, so even if I blocked network access from their computers to the server, they would simply create their own admin accounts with the UBCD and revert the security settings back. I need a way to be able to securely stream the music from my server and at the same time prevent direct access to the files by anyone but me.

Ultimately, I'd like for my computer to have sole access to the files over the network, the music be easily streamable, and the files to be secure from access and identification if the server itself was directly accessed. It sounds like a pretty complicated request though. If someone who pirated music were to look at this, the person would need to be able to securely stream his/her music, but if the FBI decided to confiscate the computer, all of the evidence would be encrypted and unidentifiable.

(Just in-case you guys were wondering "What if you were forced to give the password in court?", there's been a couple of court hearings lately which basically says that forking over the key to a lock is one thing, but giving the combination to a safe is completely different, that being forced to give a password infringes on your 5th amendment rights.)

... you're asking this here why? if they can connect to the socket they can listen to the stream. You want to set permissions i THINK... but I'm not sure how high up you'd need to do that... remote users can reset permissions up to the sub-root, but I'm not positive about that.

If you are thinking encryption will help you... you're mistaken. You have no idea the computing infrastructure available to legal entities when you're important enough.

Archived