Pick which files to download in a torrent

brunok

Well, I couldn't find any topic with this request.

Sometimes I want to download only some files inside a torrent, and I can't do that in uTorrent. BitComet has that function, and I think it's a pretty basic feature so when are we going to see this in uTorrent?

Thanks!

Sorry, i knew there was a "files" tab, but i didn't know about the right click...i just started using utorrent so i can't tell when it was added to the client.

Maybe there could be an easier way to pick the files you want, like a checkbox instead of right-clicking...

I agree with brunok. You should do a similar step to download which is included in BitComet. Because, if i want to download one file, and I set pre-allocate, the client allocate disk for all files then download that one files. µTorrent shouldn't create "do not download"-ed files and shouldn't allocate their space on disk.

Maybe there could be an easier way to pick the files you want, like a checkbox instead of right-clicking...

It's actually really easy to select which files you want or don't want to download. Just use the standard windows ctrl+click or shift+click to select all of the files you don't want, and then right-click and select to not download. Doing that, you don't have to right-click each individual file, and it's just as quick as having a check box for each file.

I found that if I skip the file, sometimes it's downloaded (for smal files).

If you don't have pre-allocation turned on, and you start the torrent in stopped mode to select what you don't want to download before starting the torrent, utorrent will do this. The reason is because the breaks between the individual chunks in a torrent rarely fall at the beginning and end of the files contained in the torrent. So if you download a chunk that is part of a file that you want, and part of that chunk is also part of a file that you didn't want, then it will still show the file that you didn't want... if that makes any sense.

It's actually really easy to select which files you want or don't want to download. Just use the standard windows ctrl+click or shift+click to select all of the files you don't want, and then right-click and select to not download. Doing that, you don't have to right-click each individual file, and it's just as quick as having a check box for each file.

Hum, I didn't think about that, thanks Dennis!

• 2 weeks later...
[files you want or don't want to download. Just use the standard windows ctrl+click or shift+click to select all of the files you don't want, and then right-click and select to not download. Doing that, you don't have to right-click each individual file, and it's just as quick as having a check box for each file.

I actually did that, but it began dwonloading files that I had set for skipped.

Archived