Session is not restored

Aalst

(Moved this from troubleshooting since was told this was a known bug.)

If I have files that are downloading and uploading and I close uTorrent, when I reopen it later everything is cleared out. All my preferences are saved, but the files are no longer listed.

I am new to uTorrent, and I really like it. I am coming from Azureus and love uTorrent so much better, but this one thing where the session state is lost when you close uTorrent worries me.

I was told by Firon that this was supposed to be fixed in 1.2.3 beta and it wasn't. I know have the latest 1.3 build 364 and it still doesn't restore the previous session.

This is a rather critical bug, since I have to leave uTorrent open until it finishes downloading the file and uploading to the desired ratio before I can reboot the computer.

Is there any plans to fix this in the near future?

Are you not on XP? I don't think 9x has anything like atomic movefile.

Can you try deleting your resume.dat(.old/.new), settings.dat(.old/.new), and dht.dat(.old/.new)? And before rebooting, close the client manually, it sounds like it's rebooting too fast and not letting it save the resume file.

I am on WinXP Pro

Where are these files you are talking about? I only have a utorrent.exe in a directory all by itself, it didn't create any files there, and it didn't create any files like these in the torrent directory or the download directory that I could find.

I always manually close and exit uTorrent, and it has several minutes to do what it needs to do before I even request the OS to restart. I would hope this is enough time, since utorrent.exe is completely out of memory before restarting.

Just wondering... why not just create these in the same folder as the utorrent.exe file? This would make it more portable and not locked into the "Microsoft" Paradigms. Especially since Application Data is a hidden folder that Microsoft wants to keep typical users out of.

After deleting the resume.dat and resume.dat.old it now works fine. I checked before doing this that it was saving the file right away and the time stamps where updated each time. However it didn't actually resume anything the next time it started.

Should it have a way to check if this has been corrupted? or if there are changes from one version to another that it can fix them and apply them to the new one?

Regardless it appears to work now. Thanks...

Some people have been using it since really old versions, and I guess something went awry that causes weird glitches like this, without the file actually showing up as corrupt.

%AppData%\uTorrent is used to prevent the average users from doing dumb things like deleting the .torrent files in the folder (and probably other reasons, every program uses it for some particular reason). But you don't have to use it. You can copy the data in it into the same folder as utorrent.exe and it'll work from that folder. In fact, you can create a blank file named settings.dat and it'd work as well. So µTorrent is in fact quite portable. ;)

It would be nice to make the location of these files part of the options. :) Thanks for the info on relocation.

And sorry to correct you but not "every program" uses it. Many programs avoid using it and many other things like the Registry etc. This is usualy the case with cross platform applications, but I tend to like it.

Anyways thanks again.

Yeah, I know not everyone does, but quite a lot do.

Granted, I think it's better for µT by default since it has no installer, it runs from wherever you put it. Wouldn't be fun to have your desktop filled with all those files now would it? :P At least you have the option of using another folder.

Archived