Generally slow dl speeds.

Hrundi

I've noticed that most of the time, my download speeds are abysmally slow, ranging from 0.smallnumber kb/s to a few kb/s at the top range from most peers. I have the green light and have tried various things, none of which have helped. The strange thing is that I am capable of reaching very high speeds as well, but only with certain peers. In those cases, I am capable of getting easily 100kb/s+ from that individual peer, sometimes with total speeds over 1mb/s.

What could cause this? And is there any way to get more speed out of the low-range peers?

An example would be one torrent, where I'm connected to 18(24) seeds and 4(14) peers.

Downloads from individual peers are as follows: 180kb/s, 30kb/s, 30kb/s, 10kb/s, 7kb/s and then the rest are from 0.1 to approximately 2kb/s. Now getting these speeds is fine, except that with a lot of torrents, I don't get those few miracle peers ( including the 30kb/s ones), which leads to a very slow download. Is this normal?

By my estimates, people's average upload speed TOTAL for BitTorrent clients is probably about 30 KB/sec. Even assuming they're only running 1 torrent at a time and allowing the standard default of 4 upload slots...that's less than 8 KB/sec on average to each peer they're uploading to at any given moment.

Really, even getting 5 KB/sec from a single peer is probably beating the averages. :(

Archived