uTorrent Not Preventing WinXP Standby

tycho55

I was trying to seed a torrent yesterday and decided to leave my computer on all night. When I returned, I noticed that it had gone into standby 1 hour after leaving it, as I have WinXP setup to do so in the Screen Saver->Power options. This was frustrating, as I thought uTorrent would prevent WinXP from going into standby while the program is running.

Is there not an option for uTorrent to prevent WinXP from going into standby, or I am overlooking something? If there's not an option, could it be implemented in a future version? It would seem rather easy to include.

Many thanks for such a wonderful program!

I do know for a fact that some programs can specifically prevent WinXP from going into standby. For instance, during defragmentation, you would not want the computer to just stop in the middle of what it's doing -- so the program prevents the system from going into standby until it's done. If uTorrent could do this, that would be wonderful!

The reason for doing this was mentioned in the first post. If he got UT running, then the computer will stay on, and if he was not running UT when he left the computer it would go standby.

This is a better option than to uncheck the standby option because it saves some bills. :)

Edit:

Had the same problem on the laptop i should mention

Medlem's right. I'd like to be able to keep uTorrent running so I can be a good little seeder, without worrying that standby will take over and stop everything. Once I'm done and close uTorrent, the computer can then go into stanby 1 hour later, like I have mine set to do.

Any ideas from the dev team?

IMHO the best uTorrent could do is resetting the idle timer as long as at least one torrent is being active (either leeching or seeding), but stop resting it when all the torrents are either stopped, completed or paused. This seems easy to implement, but the developer decides if he wants it there or not after all.

Archived