I love my new Linksys WRT54GL router.

hermanm

Wow, this router is great! Just flashed it with the lesser known Tomato firmware (I think DD-WRT is most popular). It has uPnP and QOS. Port forwarding is so easy now! QOS is allowing me to maximize the upload bandwidth without sacrificing my web browsing speeds. This router was made for Bittorrent traffic! I'm still using less than recommended connection settings for my upload speed of xx/768, but I'm getting max upload without maxing out connection which is what I wanted anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Just hooked up mine today - switching from the SMC Barricade. I too am very happy...although for other reasons (can't find a place in my house where I get anything below a "very good" connection :)) - I haven't even tried to open a port yet.

Tomato recommended, eh? What're the perks?

Hello again seedUpsy :D. Alternative firmwares, like DD-WRT on my WRT54G V6, fix bugs with the stock firmware. Also, the V6 I have crashed with µT running because it lost memory tracking the connections, DD-WRT extended this limit, now the router doesn't crash unless I set the connections ridiculously high (tested about 2500~). Alternative firmwares can also add additional features, such as IPv6 support, overclocking, and increased transmitter power, though some of this isn't available on my crappy V6 because crappy Linksys put even less crappy flash memory in 54G models V5-V8, 54GL's have more memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

That's crappy.

I do indeed have the V8.2 and 1st thing I done was flash the latest firmware - and while this fella looks fully capable, looks can be very deceiving (right out of the box the CD was corrupted and I just rigged it up sans "installation disk") and there's always room for improvement, yeah?

Thanks for the tip - I'll be investigating this further for sure.

Btw, I'm looking to school myself a bit on the optimal config/settings for this model (now that I'm free of the Zyxel and SMC) can you point me in the right direction?

I apologize if I've jacked this thread...I'll shuddap now.

Archived