Torrent Freedom (VPN) and Utorrent - Speed slows down

verhobb

When using utorrent I prefer to use a VPN. My isp provides 10mb down and 1mb up. When I am not running the VPN I get up to 1.1 mb downloads on utorrent and 120kB/s on upload. When I am running the VPN I usually get around 300-500 on download and no more than 54-55kB/s on upload--approximately half of what I am getting without the VPN. I am in one country and the VPN is in another. Could this be the reason?

Is there anything I can do to increase my speeds while using the VPN. Are there any tweaks or adjustments I should make through utorrent settings?

FYI-the same thing was happening using another VPN (VPNTUNNEL.co.uk)

Please help.

BTW-I am not using a router (straight modem to computer)

Also unrelated to the VPN question --why is it that I would only get 120kB/s max when not using VPN--should it not be higher. I used the speedguide recommended settings.

1 megabits/sec upload bandwidth really only get a THEORETICAL upload speed of 128 KiloBYTES/sec file transfer rate. 120 KB/sec actual vs 128 KB/sec under perfect conditions with NO overheads (which typically take 10% or more of a connection)...is incredible.

Yes, you may even be given a little extra by your ISP beyond your rated max speed. :)

VPN often means permanently firewalled, so you can ONLY download and upload with unfirewalled peers and seeds. The VPN company will probably give out your real ip anyway if a copyright-monitoring agency demands it, so the protection there is dubious.

• 2 years later...

Archived