forwarding

ChainLightnin

I did all the port forwarding, shut off the firewalls, etc. but the tester keeps looking for the IP that shows up in speed test, and not the one in ipconfig or the router forwarded port. So I still get the Yellow triangle, of course. What is that other IP that the checker keep trying to find? Thanks.

When using a NAT router, your computer gets an IP address (IPA), and your router gets an IPA. The routers IPA should be in a status page, WAN section/details. Did you port forward correctly? Static address given to your computer and port forwarded to that computers listening port? TCP and UDP?

Your computer has a static address, and your router has its own address, the routers address is what people will see on the Internet. That's why another address will always show up. If the port tester isn't working though, maybe your ISP isn't very nice, what ISP do you have? It could also be multiple NAT's, or software on your computer (if you are forwarded correctly). What's your network setup?

It's Centurytel (256k dsl), which is pretty poor, to a wrt54g Linksys, hardwired to my ethernet card. XP, sp2, firewall off. Seems like it should get rid of the yellow tirangle. Ya, the port tester keeps saying the port is not open for that other IP, that I can't forward anything to. Goofy. Thanks again.

Hmm. The WRT54G, what version? Most versions suck at P2P till upgraded with a third party firmware (latest first party works ok, but not as good), and only some versions can be upgraded. Sticker on the bottom for version. Also, what make and model dsl modem?

It looks like the Westell may also be a router, or at least a firewall. To confirm can you go to the Linksys' status page, find wan IP and wan gateway, and give me the numbers in the first two fields of each? (Ex. Gateway: 192.168.x.x IP: 192.168.x.x).

So the wan IP and wan gateway IP of the Linksys start with 192.168? That means your Westell is a router. I just checked the guide for the original firmware, their doesn't seem to be a bridge mode. Save your settings on the administration page, then try setup > advanced routing, change it from gateway mode to router mode. Save, wait a bit, power cycle, ipconfig /renew, and see if your Internet access works. If it does, go back to the Linksys, get the WAN gateway address, use that to connect to the Westell, port forward to your static address. Hopefully, the Westell supports the Linksys' routing mechanism.

Our model router has problems with high connections, using router mode should eliminate that problem, as well as removing your "double NAT".

Ah ha, You seem to know your stuff! I'll give all this a try. Thanks for all your expertise and time!

Well, the Westell is cheap, as I suspected. It didn't like router mode, and neither mine or my wifes computer would connect. So back to auto IP, etc. for now. (A better ISP would help, I'm sure).

Thanks, again.

Archived