Seems I have been too complacent with these speeds...

dedwards

I'm sorry to be a bother but I am not only new to utorrent. I am new to torrenting in general. I have been reading all your posts and I see that many are unhappy with speeds of say 20kb/s. I usually get speeds of anywhere from 0.1 kb/s to 5 kb/s on average. I celebrate when speeds reach 30 kb/s on occasion. Am I totally missing something? I read the entire FAQ, and maybe it is because I don't really know most of the stuff talked about. i have a pretty good idea but I feel like I am missing something. it would be really helpful if someone could reply with a little something about speeds for peoplw new to torrent. I'm sure it is just a matter of changing settings but if there are other elements to this, please could someone explain it? Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and response. :)

Well, it's all relative. If you have a fat pipe, you're probably used to high speeds in the hundreds of KB/s (or even MB/s), and in that case, 20KB/s definitely feels slow.

What connection do you have? Also, check if there's a NAT Error or Listening error on the status bar at the bottom of your µTorrent window, to make sure there's no connection errors on your end. Then we'll work from there =]

I don't have a NAT error anymore for sure. The status there is "Network OK". My connection? do you mean connection speed? It fluctuates from 1mbps to 54. I use a router with wireless connection to a Linksys. I don't think it is the same model as the one causing all that trouble. It's a Wireless G Compact Router?

dedwards As far as seeds/peers/speed goes I've been connected to torrents with 30 seeds and 200 peers, and get speeds varing from 10-75KB and it didn't seem right to me either, but then I connected to some torrents with 50-100 seeds and 3-10 peers and my down speed quickly capped at 150 (which I have set that way) I removed the cap and it went to 185KB spiking to 210. So download speed seems to be much more effected by the settings and up speed of your peers and seeds rather variations in your own settings.

I've only been doing this week, so take what I say with limited value, but I am a fast learner and I'm just relaying my own observations from testing over 40-50 hours.

Archived