Getting horrible speeds.

PinPin

I have a cable connection, 4mbps, and have already forwarded my ports. The thing is, I have the latest utorrent, and everything is green. However, my download speed is barely above dial-up speed, but my upload speed is working normally. How can I fix this? I already ran the glasnost test and it said everything was fine.

The glasnost test said my ComCast connection was "fine" too, yet all my own tests show a different story:

RST packets (seen via packet monitoring software)

innumerable peers disconnecting in uTorrent, often within seconds of connecting...downloading/uploading constantly up to the instant they spontaneously disconnect.

problem persists 24/7, regardless of whether I'm connected to my modem directly, via my router, or which computer I'm using, or how low I limit my upload/download speeds...etc.

For more obnoxious ISPs, sometimes just encryption in uTorrent isn't enough.

You also have to disable DHT, UPnP, LPD, and Resolve IPs.

Also, disable incoming legacy connections AND set outgoing encryption to FORCED.

You'll probably need very conservative uTorrent settings...100's of connections on the same port is an obvious flag for ISPs to spot, throttle, disrupt, and disconnect!

If that doesn't at least occasionally show improvements, then it's probably time to change ISPs!

Well this sucks, I switched to this ISP less than a week ago and it's the only cable provider in this area. DSL is very expensive and does not give good speeds. The thing is, the network light always starts off yellow, then turns green after a little while. Are you sure throttling is the problem?

It could remotely be poorly-written networking software such as a software firewall on your computer...like Zone Alarm that is making speeds extremely low because it's dropping connections that it shouldn't.

Try the settings changes I suggested...especially the 2nd link in my signature.

Archived