Listen error... and closed port

xxcootsxx

Ok,

I have only been using uTorrent for a few weeks now... and i have just realized recently that i can get much faster dl speeds than what im getting. I have searched for 3 days now and have tried everything i could find... but no matter what i do i keep getting the error from utorrent saying that my port is closed. I have tested this on different websites and they also say it is closed. The indicator on the bottom of uTorrent says "Listen error." I have looked on uTorrents website as well as several other forums... and nothing is working. I have a lynksys wrt54gs v6 router. I saw on the uTorrent website that the wrt54gs had problems, but it said that anything past v5 didnt apply. I have a stupid internet type known as direct wireless. I get anywhere from .6 to 1.5 mb. Im not sure if i have a modem... because of my different type of internet. I have correctly forwarded the port(56881) on my router and changed it on uTorrent, but no change. I have waited for hours to see a change.. and nothing. I have played with every possible combination of the UPnP settings... and still no luck. I only have windows firewall... and its turned off. Im sorry for the lengthy post... but i have spent the last three days working on this... and i am out of things to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like two problems, one of which you may not be able to fix. First, connect to your Linksys, check the status webpage, and post the first half of your IP address. If it falls in a specific range, then you wont be able to receive connections do to an ISP firewall(s). Second, listen error means a firewall is preventing µTorrent from binding to ports.

Sorry, but im not sure if i know what you mean by the first half of the ip address. Do you mean 192.168? On the status page of the router webpage it has stuff like my default gateway and etc. I thought all ip's started with 192.168.

Update: Well, it seems as if my Listen Error has gone away randomly... but now its the yellow triangle... which im guessing is referring to my closed port problem.

Apologies, the first half of you WAN/Internet IP address. If it's 192.168, that means there's another firewall. It could be what your routers connected to for Internet access, or your ISP. How are you connected? Is there a modem? What's the WAN/Internet gateway address?

ok... got it.

Internet IP starts with 192.168.110

Internet default gateway is 192.168.110.1

To my understanding... our isp has a T1 connection(or some other really good internet) and he connected it through an antenna which we connect to via some kind of dish looking thing.

www.netspeednow.com

I definatly would not have it if anything else were offered in my area.

So, if my isp has a firewall... is there anything i can do?

So is your router connected to a box which then goes to the satellite? It sounds like there's nothing you can do, ISP created issue :(

Your ISP either has to give you a non-private range IP address, or port forward for you. I doubt the second option can be done, if the first is available it'll cost a bit extra. This is typical of satellite and cellular based service.

Hmmm... thats what i was afraid of. No, its not connected to a box, the ethernet cable comes straight out the wall...lol. I have no idea how it goes from the dish to ethernet. But, i guess thats all i can do on my end. Ill give him a call(i have the owners cell phone number, thats how local this internet is...lol). Maybe i can get him to forward it for me. That could also be the cause of alot of my xbox live problems as well. I guess those ports aernt really forwarded either :( Thanks alot for your time GTHK. I appreciate your help.

Maybe one day a well known internet company will take interest in our small town.

Archived