Very slow upload while seeding

Adam Heine

uTorrent appears to download with no problems, and at very fast speeds. But when left to seed it will usually stay down at 0-1 kB/s, with occasional bursts as high as 30-40 kB/s. This problem has persisted since we moved houses and (consequently) changed ISPs, so it might be an ISP problem, but web browsing and other internet activity is unaffected as far as I can tell.

I've tried practically everything in the FAQ's and sticky posts that I can think of. Updated TCPIP.sys, turned off DHT and UPnP in uTorrent, enabled (but not forced) encryption, and tweaked the speed settings (as seen below).

The network status light is green.

From the port checker: "OK! Port 63569 is open and accepting connections."

Speed Guide settings:

Upload Limit: 22, Upload Slots: 3, Connections (per-torrent): 35, Connections (global): 60, Max active torrents: 2, Max active downloads: 1

net.max_halfopen = 8

Using Windows firewall (set to allow uTorrent), Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, SpyBot, AdAware.

Wireless Router: D-Link AirPlus G+ (DWL-2000AP+) set to bridge mode

Modem: Hatari HW-AA101

ISP: TT&T MaxNet (Thailand)

Connection type: DSL. Speed test results are erratic. dslreports.com shows 50-100 kbps download (way wrong, I don't know why) and 100-200 kbps upload. Speedtest.net gives me 876 kbps download and 200-400 kbps upload within Thailand. To the US depends on the server - anywhere from 200-800 kbps download and 100-200 kbps upload.

I'm not concerned about the variance in speeds between Thailand and the US. I'm concerned that speed tests consistently give me >100 kbps upload, but it's not doing that with uTorrent.

Your ISP almost certainly throttles BitTorrent and probably international traffic as well, especially your UPLOAD to remote ips.

Maybe this can help?:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping

Azureus encryption level 0 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Disable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" checked

Azureus encryption level 1 has no equivalent in µTorrent (weak encryption anyway -- it's only header encryption)

Azureus encryption level 2 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Enable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" checked

Azureus encryption level 3 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Enable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" unchecked

Azureus encryption level 4 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Forced" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" unchecked

Azureus encryption level 5 doesn't really have an exact equivalent in µTorrent.

Erf. I could've sworn I was the one who wrote that exact "translation" from Azureus's encryption level scheme to µTorrent's, but I haven't been able to find my original post. Have been searching for it for a while now (because of the numrous times that Azureus wiki page has been linked lately), but never found it and was too lazy to rewrite it... :o

Thanks for the reply. Increasing the encryption limits the number of peers I connect to, but it doesn't seem to be doing much for my upload speed that I can tell. I tried running the test at Glasnost, but it fails everytime and I don't know why.

Well, if you've got any more ideas, let me know. Thanks for your help.

Oh, and I just found evidence that my ISP does throttle torrents (though it doesn't seem to be affecting my downloads any). I'll keep trying at max encryption and see if it's any better. Right now it's uploading at 5 KB/s, which is about 5-10 times better than it usually does. I think I just have to connect to a lucky peer.

Maxnet upload problems: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Maxnet-Premier-Users-Check-Accou-t195757.html

If you know you're going to be heavily throttled, having lots of connections at once almost always makes it worse. It's also probably easier to hide less than 20 encrypted connections than 50+.

DHT, Local Peer Discovery, UPnP, Resolve IPs...disabling them should free a little more bandwidth for your downloads or uploads...and also help hide.

Archived