20/20 FIOS download speed problem MORE than solved

ghot

These setting will max download and upload speeds with UT 1.8 ONLY on the setup I have atm...so take this INFO accordingly....

I have 20MB/s DL // 20 MB/s upload ...FIOS connection, I run Windows XP Pro w/o SP3,

overclocked to 3.2ghz w/2MB RAM...ok here are the setting that will give u great share ratio and max DL // UL speeds:

1. Make SURE u have the "green check mark" at bottom center of UT 1.8

2. on the Speed guide page for "connection type, choose: XX/20Mb/s....then click:

"use selected settings" at the bottom of that page.

3. Then open Preferences page and in the "bandwidth section" and in the "number of

connections" section use these numbers:

Global maximum number of connections...............................1500

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent....................700

Number of upload slots per torrent........................................700

......and UNcheck "use additional upload slots if upload speed is < 90%"

4. On the preferences page in the "connections" section, UNcheck......

Enable UPnP port mapping

5. These are setting for downloading ONLY 1 massive torrent and no seeding. In other

words: only DLing 1 giant torrent with a good number of seeders.

With those settings after about ten minutes of other peers and seeds and leechers

on the same torrent ...you will see: upload speed 2.1Mb/s and download speed of

approximately 1.7-1.9Mb/s

It took me a while to figure out that setting the numbers higher than the defaults like in step 3.....actually INCREASES my download speed of a large single torrent drastically.

As you can no doubt see these setting are only for when you want to get a very large file...very fast.....as those 2 (700) numbers are a PER torrent setting.....add a 2nd torrent and BAM your back down to 200Kb/s....I assume it overloads the Windows XP Pro TCPIP stack! These settings for a 1 large torrent DL will give u a share ratio of about 2.8-3.2...so noone can cry: "LEECHER" and you will still get that 8GB download

in under and hour :)

Hope this helps those that design UTorrent in some small way also :)

Summary: The more "per torrent" slots you open the higher your DL speed will be while still giving a good share ratio. For 2 large DL's I would probably try 1500/350/350 etc.

The TWO "per torrent" numbers, (when added together) must not be larger that the Global number obviously. But the higher you can set them the better it is for everyone ^^

When I choose the xx/20Mb/s and click use these settings...UT 1.8 defaults to 850/125/30 which SEEMED to me a good set of numbers.....but the Uploaders were getting 2.1Mb/s and I was struggling with 200kB/s downloads....this made me think that since most people want/try to download fast or faster than they upload.....that it would be to my advantage...to open MORE slots...and let all those little bits add up :D

the xx/10Mb/s choice defaults to 800/125/25 so people in that range might wanna try

1400/650/650 for ONE very large DL or 1400/325/325 for 2 very large DL's etc :)

Just keep in mind that with 2 very large DL's and (let's say a 10/10 cable connection)

your max download speeds will be 1/2 of what they are for a 1 torrent DL.

Anyways to make this short try to open up as many "per torrent" upload slots as you can while staying about 100 below the Global max upload number.

Good luck and hope this helps ALL of us...it should :)

Oh almost forgot I have upload bandwidth and download bandwidth set to UNLIMITED !! The bandwidth SPEEDS are NOT causing the slow downloads....as I've shown above it more the "per torrent" settings. In other words the MORE little seeds u have and give...the faster YOUR download will be.

Your global connection limit will CERTAINLY overload and crash most consumer-grade networking hardware and software. :(

Even among the "good" stuff, very little can handle more than 500 connections at once...thus part of the reason why my settings seemed so low.

The "bad" networking gear can't even handle 200 connections at once. :(

Probably part of the reason you're getting so little download speed even from 100-150 connections per torrent is due to a low upload slot value. With your connection, you can set upload slots a LOT higher if you are only running 1 or 2 torrents. The trick is keep the balance such that EACH upload slot gets at least 5 but not more than 20 KiloBYTES/second on average.

The "average" peer or seed is unlikely to give out more than 3-5 KiloBYTES/second average, that's probably another reason you need a lot to "fill up". But if you upload quickly to them, they will upload more to you than they do to others. There is no point going over 20 because almost nobody can or will upload that fast back.

Are you unchecking the "use additional upload slots if upload speed is < 90%" to prevent runaway use of extra but incredibly slow upload slots?

Oh almost forgot I have upload bandwidth and download bandwidth set to UNLIMITED !! The bandwidth SPEEDS are NOT causing the slow downloads....as I've shown above it more the "per torrent" settings. In other words the MORE little seeds u have and give...the faster YOUR download will be.

Archived