how long does it take to download

heavenlightly

hi

i am new to the forum and to utorrent. i am stupid when it comes to computors except for the normal stuff. anyway first time downloading and was wondering how long does it normally take or should take? 8 hours seems a long time. my port is forwarding but it just seems ridiculous that it would take that long. can anyone give me an idea?

i believe it is against the content rules to mention *what* you are downloading...

But anyways, what is the 'down speed' (check the column in utorrent) you are downloading at? The time it takes to download depends on your download speed. Assuming you are downloading a 4.3GB file, 8 hours is reasonable. You can get even faster speeds if you configure your utorrent properly. Check the utorrent beginners guide for starters http://www.utorrent.com/beginners-guide.php

Ensure that you are also not choking your upload (setting upload rate too high). In utorrent Options Preferences, you can set a lower upload and see if it helps with speeds.

hi sorry edited my post. it is loading around 112.8kb it is fluctuating lower to higher. my upload is lower than what it is acutually showing. i did the whole tuturial but will check that again. the file is 2.05 gb. also what is this seeding. i have read but it still seems over my head. is there someplace else that would explain it differently?

thanks for your help

a seed is someone who has 100% of a file and is only uploading to other peers like you

another definition:

A seeder is a peer that has a complete copy of the torrent and still offers it for upload. The more seeders there are, the better the chances are ...

www.e-consumerguide.com/bittorrent/glossary.html

also i think this topic should be in the Speed Problems forum..

how many seeds and peers does the torrent have? check the columns. If the seeds is just 1, and the peers are much more, the speed will be slow

seeds = those that have the whole file that upload to peers

peers = downloaders that also upload what they have to other peers

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

You may want to use lower settings than your connection can handle because it is shared with others or due to monthly bandwidth quotas.

Archived