My Torrents are very slow

billyjim1234

My torrents are all going at about an average of 10kBs, I have opened the port, I have downloaded the patch for windows that allows more TCP connections with XP, My torrents have about an equal number of seeders and peers and I have experimented with my upload and download speeds. However none of this seems to have an effect, so id be grateful for any advice anyone can give me about speeding them up.

Thanks

BT Central ADSL ISP in the UK throttles BitTorrent traffic to very low amounts, especially during peak hours.

Bad settings in uTorrent can make this even worse. :(

What's the speed of your connection and what settings are you using in uTorrent (as shown by Speed Guide CTRL+G)?

Looking at your settings, BT Central may have throttled you further for overloading your connection by more than 10 times over.

You should use no higher than the 512 kilobits/second settings in the 2nd link of my signature.

...But now that you're throttled (possibly for overuse), you may need to use the 128 kilobits/second setting for a month. :(

The best way around the throttling is to change ISPs to one that doesn't throttle.

Barring that, this is about all I can offer:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping#Escalation_of_the_crypto_settings

Azureus encryption level 3 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Enable" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" unchecked

Azureus encryption level 4 is equivalent to µTorrent's "Forced" for outgoing encryption with "Allow legacy incoming connections" unchecked

Azureus encryption level 5 doesn't really have an equivalent in µTorrent. uTorrent's DHT can be disabled and uTorrent can be firewalled by a router, preventing your computer from "seeing" incoming connections.

Change the max setting for your download to 0 (unlimited).

Find out what BT Central is limiting downloads/uploads to during peak hours, because it doesn't do much good to be trying to run faster than that in uTorrent if they identify uTorrent's traffic as BitTorrent traffic.

Archived