NAT Error Confusion

stepdown

Anyway, I have looked at my modem, and Firon was right, it is a modem/router and has a NAT firewall built in. However, if you want to turn this NAT function off you have to set up a static route and I am a bit lost with it now. There are some confusing (to me) IP addresses set up.

The Modem/Router is 192.169.0.1

My Linksys Router is 192.168.1.1

My other systems are all 192.168.1.#

Does this shed any light on the problem? Thanks again for any help guys, I googled around, but didn't find anything that helped me, it was either too general or not related to this. =)

What is the make and model of your modem/router? Generally, what you would do is look on your modem/router's DHCP table or device list and find your Linksys's IP address. It will probably be listed at 192.168.0.2 or something - that's what the router/modem most likely sees (not 192.168.1.1). You'll then forward the appropriate port to that IP address.

I've been following this thread with interest as I've been down this exact same road.

The only thing that worked for me was to put the PC running uTorrent in a DMZ.

Not very practical, I agree, but it worked.

My modem doesn't have a firewall or NAT function and I've got the same issue, so I'm not convinced meddling with the modem's setting is going to help, but hey, you never know...

@td4guy

Thanks for the pointers! I have an Actiontec modem/router, model R4500U. In the advanced configuration I cannot see a DHCP table, but by looking at the list of internet activity, I can see that ALL the websites visited have come from 192.169.0.2, so it looks like I found my router's IP based on what the modem sees! Bonus!

I have forwarded the BitTorrent port (52788) from the modem (Actiontec at 192.169.0.1) to the router (Linksys at 192.168.1.1) and then from the router to my system (at 192.168.1.#) now, and I will see how that works. Posting this before, just in case!

EDIT

NatCheck just gave me a pass. I had one torrent struggling along at 0.1kB/s before, it's gone from an estimated 1 week timetable straight down to 13 hours. Thanks everybody for the help, couldn't have done it without you! =)

Can't wait to get that Network OK message! =)

Archived