NAT Error Confusion

stepdown

Heya, I've kicked off my own thread because this problem hasn't been helped by the FAQ or mini guides, so I'm guessing it's possibly something a bit more complicated than just a port forwarding or firmware issue with my router.

I am getting a NAT error and my downloads are hitting speeds as fast as 30 KB/s together, but usually stay around 20KB/s. My ISP (BT) says that i have a max DL of 2Mb/s and a max UL of 256Kb/s. I have a Linksys WRT54G router with the firmware and startup modifications suggested in the FAQ, I have McAfee firewall and virus protection, but that is currently turned OFF and I still have the error. I am also using XP, and a pretty recent install of it at that =)

I looked in the rules to set this out the right way, if anybody could help me that'd be great. My downloads aren't all that slow, it's just annoying that they're not going as fast as they could go. Also, uTorrent is really easy on the resources, so I'd rather not swap programs if at all possible!

@Ultima

Thanks for the reply! =)

I uninstalled the firewall part of the McAfee package, and now instead of "NAT Error" I now have "UPnP(52788)" in the Network Status bit at the bottom. I know 52788 is the port I am using for BT at the moment, is everything okay? Is "UPnP(port)" as good as "Network OK"?

I tried without UPnP, and it gave me the NAT Error again. The DL speeds seem to be about the same, and the upload is still at the max setting I have.

Thanks for your patience! =)

EDIT - The FAQ says "If it never tacks on OK after running torrents for a while, it most likely means that something went wrong, usually a software firewall blocking incoming connections. If all else fails, the port may still have to be forwarded manually"

But I've already forwarded the port, is there anything else that could be causing me problems?

@Firon

Thanks for the reply. I have already forwarded the port manually from my router, and it has the HyperWRT firmware flashed onto it. If I turn off UPnP then I get my NAT Error back. Is there something simple I am missing? I just went into Options/Preferences/Network Options and unticked the UPnP tickbox. I didn't think I'd need to disable UPnP on the router or anything.

However, the NAT Error takes a while to come up, and my downloads seem to be going quicker (but that's not really an exact science)

Thanks again =)

Keep UPnP off and check your forwards. You may've forwarded it to the wrong IP.

Start -> run -> cmd /k ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2 <- forward to the IP stated here on your box

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

@Firon

Yeah, I'm at 192.111.1.100, and that's exactly where the port forward's going. It's a static IP, and the port forward is on the same port and everything. I can't honestly think of a problem there could be with the forward. I'm not too bad with router configs either, I had to set up one recently at work after the server broke with all sorts of port forwards for VPN and HTTP etc.

Erm, any extra help would be greatly appreciated! =)

EDIT - Sorry, when you said keep UPnP off, I didn't think you meant the router. I have tried again without UPnP enabled on the router, and I still get a NAT error! =)

Okay, I went away, did what you said, I'm back to report on the results! After I followed the link on the FAQ I ended up with the wrong version of HyperWRT because of a broken link. I thought all HyperWRT firmware would be the same, I was wrong, and I now have the +tofu12 version. I was having difficulty with finding the Static DHCP / Domain link before, but once I got the right firmware, no problem at all, just found my MAC on IPConfig and I was away! =)

So now all my systems ask the router for their IP, and the router hands out their fixed IP address, it all seems to work fine. So far I haven't got any status report, no UPnP(port), NAT Error or Network OK messages yet, but all the downloads are running smoothly. After 5 minutes I usually get a message up, is this strange?

EDIT - Just back now, an hour has passed and I have got the NAT Error back again =(

EDIT #2 - I have found that UPnP on the router had gotten stuck, and was still sending it to the old static IP address, and not the new DHCP assigned static IP. Deleted all UPnP entries, this should help! =)

EDIT #3 - Got rid of the NAT error, but 45 minutes later, I still don't have a status report. I am guessing there must be a problem if it doesn't say Network OK?

EDIT #4 - I guessed right, the NAT error is back! =(

Okay, I have set up a manual forward under "Applications and Gaming/Port Range Forwarding" and have UPnP turned off everwhere and have just restarted both the PC that uses BT and the router itself.

I'll edit if I get a good or bad status report through, thanks again for all your help Firon =)

EDIT - About an hour on now, and still no status. I can see this going like the last one if I'm honest... Unless it just isn't giving me any report at all?

EDIT #2 - Is no news good news, or is there a problem if I don't get Network OK?

Nope, it's just an ethernet modem (at least that's what the box etc. says, it might have some routing functions, I guess) that I had to get because the WRT54G routers don't have one built in. I'll try looking at these settings tonight to see if there might be the problem, unless there's something else it might be? =)

UPnP is very hit and miss on WRT54G/GL/GS routers, it's a hardware thing. Just forward the port manually, it's easy enough. And turn off UPnP when you do.

I have a Netgear MR814v2 router, and UPnP works fine with it. The only application that can't map ports with my router, using UPnP, is µTorrent. And judging by the other reports of UPnP problems related to µTorrent I've read in these forums, I really believe that there is a problem with µTorrent. This doesn't mean a router (most likely the router's firmware, actually) can't also play a role for some people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Sorry I haven't replied for about 3 weeks, it was just my exams happened, and they were a bit more important to me than speedy torrents =)

Anyway, I have looked at my modem, and Firon was right, it is a modem/router and has a NAT firewall built in. However, if you want to turn this NAT function off you have to set up a static route and I am a bit lost with it now. There are some confusing (to me) IP addresses set up.

The Modem/Router is 192.169.0.1

My Linksys Router is 192.168.1.1

My other systems are all 192.168.1.#

Does this shed any light on the problem? Thanks again for any help guys, I googled around, but didn't find anything that helped me, it was either too general or not related to this. =)

Archived