Disk Overload 100% while Moving Completed to External Drive

antispimmer

I'm not sure why I am getting this problem given than my current setup seems to be the solution to others having this issue. I currently have uTorrent configured on an old laptop to download files to a local drive, which it can do without issue, and then move them to a networked, external, drive upon completion. As soon as a torrent completes, while the files are being transferred, I receive the Disk Overload 100% error, and downloads slow to ~10kb/s. As soon as the files finish being moved, the error goes away, and downloads continue as normal until the next torrent completes.

The external drive which I am having the completed torrents moved to is on my network, but not directly connected to the laptop. It is connected to the network by Hi-Speed Usb 2.0. I'm not sure why this error should be occurring since nothing should be downloaded directly to the external drive at any time.

Well, the hub that connects my external drive is definitely Usb2.0, but it's still probably limited to the speed of my wireless network first. I'm seeing a lot of options under disk cache that I barely understand, lol. It looks like it's enabled, but is there a specific setting I should check for? To what limit would you suggest I override the cache size.

The top box is all that's important right now, that creates a buffer. The default as you see is 32 MiB. The size you choose depends I think on how long the transfer operations take place.

If you want to go crazy, and have some free RAM to burn, try setting it to 1000 MiB and disabling "reduce cache size" option below. (just as a test... tune it lower if you want to see the minimum you need for the longer operations)

It's a pretty old laptop, so it doesn't have a whole lot of RAM to spare. Luckily, this is the only real purpose it serves at this point, so I just committed half of what it had to the cache and it seems to have helped at least slow the speed at which the problem occurs. At this point, the transfers will probably have been completed well before I receive the overload message.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Well :) I'm glad to.

How "old" are we talking? And how much RAM? While I'm sure it's not as low as http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_are_.C2.B5Torrent.27s_system_requirements.3F it's good to see new life in old machines.

Oh, and since I didn't mention it before, you can use the Speed tab, switch to Disk Statistics view to see your cache usage should you decide to multi-task and want to tune the cache lower for more available RAM. Also you can now enable the "reduce RAM usage" option.. and it should only buffer up to your set amount when needed. But I'm not sure how long it would take (i.e. if you'll still see any disk overloaded).

Archived