Connection dies - Take two

Taranoleion

I'm sorry for the repost, but nothing seemed to solve my problem, no one ever replied after DreadWingKnight and who knows where my first thread ended up, so I'm posting another one.

Here's the description of the problem and everything I've done so far to try to fix it:

Hello again. Let me start from the beginning.

Several months ago, I had regular internet disconnection problems. My router randomly disconnected about twice a day, but that seemed to have nothing to do with uTorrent. No matter if I turned it on that day or not, my router just disconnected. So I called my ISP, and they replaced my router. (Note that I haven't changed any settings in my Firewall and Antivirus program since then and up untill now.) The random disconnecting stopped, but somewhere around then I noticed the following:

Whenever I turned uTorrent on and left it to download, after a random time, which was never more than an hour (once after 15 minutes, once after 59), my router disconnected itself from the internet. I couldn't connect anywhere after that unless I restarted my router.

This happened every time I started uTorrent, no exceptions. And the problem is still present.

I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, 2.101Ghz and 1 GB of RAM.

I have ZoneAlarm Firewall and it has uTorrent tagged as an okay program.

I use the NOD32 antivirus system.

My router is a D-Link, DSL-584T.

If you need any more information, I'll be happy to provide it.

This is what I've done so far:

I asked a friend for help and I was told a port should be forwarded properly, so I forwarded one and it didn't fix the problem.

I called my ISP's customer service and they couldn't help me either, they said it's uTorrent's fault, that my connection is fine.

I also tried using a different program, the Free Download Manager, to download a torrent file and it disconnected after approximately 45 minutes.

I read everything relevant in the thread DreadWingKnight suggested and tried the following:

- I read the Setup Guide and my connection is fine, I have the green okay icon at the bottom of the uTorrent window

- I'm using the latest uTorrent version, it's checked as okay in my firewall, I read the FAQ and found nothing helpful and I believe I've selected the correct upload speed (I found that the guide was unclear because I could never find the option "Select upload speed")

- I lowered net.max_halfopen to 7 (it was on 8 before)

- I disabled IP resolving, DHT, UPnP and NAT-PMP

- I checked peer.resolve_country, it was already set to false

- I lowered my maximum global number of connections to 200

- I added uTorrent on my NOD32 IMON setup as an exclusion

The only thing I haven't done is configure my ZoneAlarm, mostly because I have the free version and this thread explains how to configure the Pro version. I don't have all the features mentioned in that thread.

Besides, as I already mentioned, I haven't at all changed the settings in my ZoneAlarm since I got the new router and a long time before I got rid of the old one.

So after I've done all that, the problem is still there. Anyone got any ideas?

Can someone please help and tell me what I should do to prevent this from happening?

It's getting really annoying.

Thanks in advance. :)

Archived