Message "invalid torrent file"

jasotoole

Every single torrent file I have downloaded from various sites won't open due to a uT message "Unable to load [torrent_name]:Invalid torrent file!". This occurs with literally every torrent no matter how many seeders/leachers and even with torrents that I have saved from previous downloads.

Anyone know how to fix it or what to do?

To be honest I wouldn't know what to look for as "abnormal".

But it could be the university, I didn't think of that- I'm not generally connected to their network when downloading torrents but thought it would save some time. Is there a way to bypass that or is it something I just have to deal with?

Same problem, I'm also attending university; do you think it could be that? Because not only do I get invalid torrent file, all my torrents that were already running stopped working and cannot reach the tracker.

This is what I get when opening slackware-12.1-source-d4.torrent in notepad, seems mangled, but I've never looked at a torrent as text before:

d8:announce44:http://trackers.transamrit.net:8082/announce13:announce-listll44:http://tracker1.transamrit.net:8082/announce44:http://tracker2.transamrit.net:8082/announce44:http://tracker3.transamrit.net:8082/announceee13:creation datei1209691722e4:infod5:filesld6:lengthi685377536e4:pathl28:slackware-12.1-source-d4.isoeed6:lengthi197e4:pathl32:slackware-12.1-source-d4.iso.asceed6:lengthi63e4:pathl32:slackware-12.1-source-d4.iso.md5eee4:name18:slackware-12.1-iso12:piece lengthi524288e6:pieces26160:8-""Lv„ ê§ÌõW9¬úHÞŠBàpý-b'ÇjÒï'ï+0ð}2    UÒº›K8ƒìJ'¬Ýô"gЀD0<®Þí×îV}À@…ùÊ9|<½inc5a¬Â-Î]s"'}x‡Ú(,'¿õ57BÉAÙwƺNçš;ú³oI&õ    û<Øðm&ãqðaf°k&ž ©%Ö¡PW¬ön¹;ñ    ð›w5¨C5£y3žÊ"Á€öª}õ"hqUÜ:—g`2™ðBóR4¤ÉbXz-ÏY£Õá 1@P^(`û*D°Z„i2¬¢øZ¡ú8Œð2Þ€e–þ:    Ç—ÿ²IkDnð]+ÿîwy‡5¦tåC×s7¿6Ës„ë}ùt±ÏHÖ!#/u™:/+IIòãUÊñÂí"C¾F7¿+fLal´¼è4Òb€Š¡sJn£ˆ¶î    1ëN0±cHXJ«'+I{¤û7~º"ki±lmèHÕ>ª2ð|QO-ÃÛìjEk€øð
Ð(é?è»(ÆDgzø"L¹cEéRÐÁ#»¨œy5.fÝå1£«PƒpžPhíñ¼ö¨(¯ÏêòxÎtŒ³ü!$°œ=Ö]Äùß>îc]"¹ž†eñ6Æ€¸3|gòYšïˆ2ÍCÔí…ÿý„‚Æsó¸PR„Ã}ê*:ÑOŽFÛÀ
™šÂë':Åc¬A ÄÙ9žœ—%@´O` Ä€}R~9!ýÀ¾0ýÄQ:=Ù¿uD0û©Fôî©ÇMf1P¶I3:^?þ·•É°¡xîáäa·NÓ2¤Rë ¹rä"‡á\Ó)Ì=Ékö°Caé])ÚÊ+"÷r™ìÏÖ?ã<•½Óå Î!î€E7¦ØË,©šÎ©º«nІ˜f6‚©2Ú‡9ö!£°Òö1´þöî'\Ò">û‹,W[¤<›âÛTëÝ#^dmcsèÂ9sûªññy-ÃT€MÐŽJdèÅèIš¢òò÷©ï$÷
žSH´h®[égn+¢XöÇŸ]»€H3«vxŒw=5,'¼×¸ÙÌ}å'ÎPf`xÒ4á…è†úª#Âd‹Ð¬óCÆ ;FßÙÿD^â†e‰½¨n&yâ¢ýwl„!°ò³èöFl'üüH‰iò½G´Ü}ú9ÑD{Óù‚/ƒ¯Wµyɫоþ‡ #þ:›ö-NÁ‹¼€Ì|€G{©åv¢ãä¹Bî&7Æú¥Ï3îi§$ûCµ´¤&GV+䥽5™¤…‰ èˆËR'ÜœÎÛá‰À‚{G|t¸GËœï"®7lSËPÚ
ºS³‡M'O†Èb´nÃèqq÷¶˜R§›™Zïõ™é
äìÙô‡úC+{;_vŽÆÍþúŽ‰éÜÿäP9R¯9>þºwe¾:Hju-IÏfy.¿\{ã*æ•I
r²]1:ÞH_Æ"þ:¯¬œó8[-ß/ãêgü"fðÑß©o?!éd-õÐ|Zì!•'W'ž,-ÆdˆúnÆ5º®†¯Év›€ôcäR ™90¥_°ÉÕÿ.gŠôË5*o I æÉÝ÷"så»ÛH `"¢X)ðìqkÏÉ¡¼û*jViŠIÐ\å¬åÜ…"Ò ²Uoìðh÷ÄüNBMß! uî%ƒ… ì¹#Ý,¯šád^Xz|ºö^Ù Èî£l¦3ÅÝ1Zk1§åÇø{b‡1¡ï—–‡$²pÜÿkû<â¾"ªHþW¡*Š&øû´]ð8¿±£e=É{¥ƒ £¤1Ò¹ë§ZÔ²û#»¼ˆÕy"x¾¤2ó"¯s<Œ®-Ëqfó€'÷7¨Ê)
'÷ ·ç2ý§ùùFìM¤ÊâÅû-Ì•¨ì'g^ÿ$'ß;Ô݉Á‰A…´ƒ††ëØŠØÕCãö#rÚ&¸(ñˆ¤v2ߢôíä
f}.$œ/ÏC®ãædc¹›pÚݶÓoÔ
czJz(¼hjhëß>Ô¬VÑ€%‚‹î»¨Î]QÚ
›}^ÄÓŽqw4º*ëúrV»ù˜±›Y¬6΂öPy00x,Ó¨A¶>ž‹àágIƒBM5¹Å@sk8‰M¦*÷yÚË_ƒ€(%² \h‹¯b2Ì&Ö'—¨*C*ŒôWÑæS¦Ë•X;˜á&$f²ôblyA³Âžï(†ÅħãžéÅ\˜<>ÄBÙa¨gHú~FÙÃäçúrÙjºÙ8V¢aË–¿ùØßÈW.{åjÙÅÛ1Æ0OÚÅm¹/p³å»«N]<»ôL¿^¬Ê¸Gä /6»‡p¤UÜQ–§H볆 ¤`ÉIê@2ä!Ÿz½¬ÔÃt@càž>d³%f£2?¸$2óq(–„ÊD Ì"®;Ƚ9;zgýÐÓ¤Õ~Äözº%ÿc˜û'éžEáít«=)eâ%]!;ÏŒMgÄû Y9Jæ½IhûB:\áDÞ«NükêQ`‰íåN-oÅÝh‡
ŽC©è¡Èâ:2àòøÈ }:1
²IJUTWËLÛ
#ܽnj³µN¶Ž©6'tÉTªa>¯œ#CÂ^‰~Á²_Í&¼€BµIùtþÿ³QÑ=¨Ð|þæ ³oŒ¹9üð×;qÀÏr{e
ZÈeJËQgµa¬Îkî%3ŽB`ÚÞAÝÔÉhÓµ®"¾U«

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with uTorrent!

I have been downloading fine for months and months, gigs and gigs on a private (not university) att connection. This morning I downloaded fine, but this afternoon I started getting the error

"Unable to load (torrent name) Invalid torrent file!"

I have tried changing settings, uninstalling reinstalling, downloading the files and then adding them to the program, different trackers, editing the files everything.

The torrents I already had going are still dl/ul just fine.

WTF?!?!

Hi In Seattle and i have the same problem today new torrent files WILL NOT LOAD, OLDER FILES THAT I HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED WILL STILL LOAD, I HAVE TRIED TORRENTS FROM AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT SITES DEMONOID, PIRATE BAY, ECT.... What the hells up? The message about the software is interesting (RE: Adeang Post) since i do most of my bit torrent at a library Wireless connection...... Anyway i hope someone really looks into the deal, not just telling us to change some setting or read the faq, I have used utorrent for several years, and i have never seen this!!!!

I think the problem is with certain torrents, and what site they are downloaded from, i got a torrent from isohunt and it loaded fine and is downloading, but what confuses me is that it is the same torrent that i downloaded from bt junkie and it would not load..... So so maybe a tracker problem?

For what it's worth every torrent from bt junkie would not load, and also quite a few from pirate bay, So Like i said i am sorta confused because a lot of these sites actually supply the same torrent SO WTFIU?

Bt JUnkie is off line for about an hour! Maybe a problem with our torrents not loading? PROBALLY

We will see what happens, i am not knockin bt junkie, i use them all the time to locate good quality torrents and have rarely ever had any problems... So i think someone there has discovered that there is a problem. and is working on it.......... Thanks Davev

I just downloaded another torrent from bt junkie, and it will not load in utorrent, which i use exclusively, or Vuse (azureus). which i just installed as a test...... Not A Valid torrent file Is the error message still.. Niether program would load the torrent and it was a very popular and strong torrent......I have got another from isohunt, not the same torrent but a similiar one, and it will load in both programs... So i am led to believe that the problem seems to be corrupt torrents.. Thanks for the suggestions davev

I would like to take this opportunity to point out Ultima's awesome tool http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 which allows anyone to check / edit / view a torrent locally. As the thread says it functions as a torrent editor, and is invaluable as a resume.dat editor. This makes things easier than say going to http://torrenteditor.com :D

If you are directly saving the torrents to disk, then loading them, try loading into this tool to see if it decodes, if not there's something wrong with the actual save process like Ultima said :/ In that case use a more general text/hex editor. Check at the beginning/end of the file to see whether extra text was appended.

Archived