uTorrent says everything is ok, but slow download speeds (100kb/s).

YMatrix

Hello!

I have been using uTorrent for quite some time now, but recently I have upgraded my modem and since then I have problems.

Before my upgrade I was using a PCI modem to connect my 2.5 ADSL line.

I upgraded to a Siemens wireless modem router SL2-141.

My computer is connected directly to the router and I have manually port forwarded for incoming connections (I also disabled the upnpn options since they kept giving me the yellow sign), I also opened the port in the router's firewall (also tried to disable it).

I also patched my tcp/ip for allowing 1000 half open connections, and changed uTorrent settings to allow 200 (instead of 8).

So I have the green indicator, patched the half open connections and still don't get the speeds I used to get (250-300KB/s).

I also tried to make my PC the DMZ of the router, but no luck.

I am running XP SP3 on an intel based system (E2180 dual core) with 1GB of ram.

I have no firewall, only kaspersky 8 anti virus.

Like I said the change in speeds started when I changed my modem to the above router I specified.

So, any one have ideas whats the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Wireless as a general rule cannot handle nearly as many connections (peers+seeds+other things) at once as a direct, wired line can.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is far less than max download speed for most connections.

Telling uTorrent to attempt 200 new OUTGOING connections at once, all the time till it exhausts all torrents of untried ips...and then try them all again a minute later ...Is beyond wasteful...it's simply nuts! Any uTorrent or networking problems you have can be blamed on...and definitely made worse by...this setting alone. Even uTorrent's half open limit set to 8 (the default value) should be enough...20 if you want really fast start-up for torrents and you have a 10+ megabit/second download connection to take advantage of that.

Also every Windows update will likely reset Windows max half open connection limit to 10...so if uTorrent is still set higher than that, you WILL have problems.

Once uTorrent gets the green light meaning it's unfirewalled, you'll be getting incoming connections that don't count against uTorrent's half open limit.

First of all thanks for your reply.

I guess you didn't understand me - I am connected directly to the router (by cable) and not by wireless.

I checked your suggested settings and it is already configured like that.

I changed the setting to 20, but let us the remember that the problem also persists when it was 8.

As for the windows updates I know about the reset, but I keep checking that my tcp/ip is still patched.

I do get the green light, but I am not getting to the speeds I got before I moved to the router, so what is still bugging it?

********* EDIT ************

I think I found the source of my problems: I installed the software cfosspeed, which apparently was causing the slow downloads.

I am almost positive that it was the cause, because after I uninstalled it my downloads returned to 300 KB/s.

Thanks again for your help!

Archived