Download choise

´talay

hi

i think thats a bug:

when i download something ican decide what i want to download. exampel:

dragonball gt 16,8 GB

i only choose 2,61 GB to download but utorrent is STILL using the other HDD space !! 14,4 GB uselesss got taken by utorrent ! take a look at bitcomet, bitlord or azureus ! they dont do that kind of sh'§

sorryyy i didnt understand anything.....could u explain it for dummies please ??

In a nutshell: Partial allocation kicks ass in uTorrent. In fact, IMO the two things that uTorrent is 100% definite to be immensely superior to Azureus and BitComet (the two big standbys) is its efficiency and the Partial Allocation implementation in the newest versions.

Anyway, here's the Dummy step by step to get all the efficiency you can get:

0) Get the latest beta.

1a) If uTorrent is not running, double click on icon on Desktop to get it running.

1b) If uTorrent is already running, find its icon in the System Tray (the little icons left of the clock)

After getting uTorrent's window open.

2) Click on Options

The Options menu will extend

3) Click on Preferences

The Settings dialog window will open.

4) Click on Torrent options

The Torrent Options appear. You should see a section called "Other Settings". In it will be 4 (four) check boxes. One of them will say Pre-allocate all files

5) Click on the checkbox to the left of Pre-allocate all files. Keep clicking until you don't see a check in that box.

6) Click on Apply

For even better space savings:

7) If you are using Windows XP, click on Advanced Options

8) Use the little up and down arrows to the right to scroll down to an item called diskio.sparse_files

9) Click on the row saying diskio.sparse_files

A radio dialogue will appear below, just above the buttons marked OK and Cancel. There will be two options True and False.

10) Make sure it says True

11) Click on diskio.use_partfile and make sure that says True as well.

12) Click OK.

What happened to you shouldn't happen again. In fact, I say this is the best "Partial Allocation" implementation I ever worked with because:

1) In Azureus, Partial Allocation of files is dependent on the last block present in the file. For example, if you choose to download DBZ GT episodes 2-6, to ensure Episode 2 gets completely downloaded due to BitTorrent's piece system it will have to download the last piece of Episode 1 as well. Episode 1 will be completely useless but will show up as a 200MB file (the size of Episode One) because you downloaded the last piece.

2) In BitComet, this does not happen (fortunately) but its Partial Allocation is crude. It seems to kind of expand in stages (about 1/4th, 1/3rd, 2/3rd, full file size).

3) In uTorrent, using NTFS (in WinXP) Sparse File function, the wastage is almost zero.

dont enable Sparse Files if you have plenty of free spaces, it may increase fragments, iirc. µTorrent's default behavior works great on my box, no PreAllocate, no SparseFiles, enable PartFile.

If he's downloading only 2.68GB (not even a full DVD's worth) at a time, he probably doesn't have that much disk space. AFAIK, all of these economizing programs increase fragmentation problems, which is why they also have Pre-allocate.

BTW, I heard that in the new betas, pre-allocate will only allocate for the files you are downloading rather than the whole beta. Since you are trying the beta, maybe you can try that if you are really paranoid about fragmentation.

hmmm i setted:

no PreAllocate, no SparseFiles, enable PartFile.

what happens/changes when i enable sparsefiles ?? i dont understand it....

A feature of NTFS: The one line explanation is: The parts of a file that you had not downloaded yet take up zero space on your disk.

It is a far more efficient implemenation than the "Incremental File" and BitComet's version of Compact Allocation.

For more information, try Wiki's explanation:

These are files which are mostly filled with zeros. This is called a sparse data set, and most things that generate such data sets are scientific applications, and they can generate very large sparse data sets. Because of this, Microsoft has implemented support for sparse files by only allocating disk space for regions that do not contain blocks of zero data. An application that reads a sparse file reads it in the normal manner with the file system calculating what data should be returned based upon the file offset. As for compressed files, the actual size of sparse files are not taken into account when determining quota limits.

• 3 years later...

Archived