Can someone enlighten me...

Cydud3

I was going to post this on one of the utorrent vs bitcomet threads but I didn't want to hijack other people's threads. Anyway, here goes.

I recently switched to utorrent but after playing with the settings for several days now, I still can't get good speeds. So, I thought I'd try bitcomet (0.61). Well, I installed it and was surprised I was getting really better speeds. I was downloading a 350MB file and it seemed to be going fine but I noticed that the percentage indicator wasn't moving proportionally. 100MB later, it still says around 8% complete. It didn't say that there were any rubbish data dropped so I don't know where that data all went.

On the other hand, although I get really slow speeds on utorrent, the percentage indicator does move quite proportional to the size of data downloaded. Does anybody know if this is a known issue with bitcomet and whether this can be fixed?

For now, I'm sticking with utorrent because it doesn't kill my Internet connection when it's on and if one just looks at the percentage indicator, they're both running basically the same speed (utorrent might even be faster). I'm supposed to have a 1Mb line but I cannot get a single torrent to stay above 10kB/s.

Of course BitVomit is going to get better speeds. :/ It has Protocol Header Encryption (for if your ISP is shaping BitTorrent traffic), and doesn't play nice at all with other clients (it sends many requests over and over until it gets an Optimistic Unchoke). Also, BitVomit prioritizes between its own userbase, so if someone else is using BitVomit as well, they'll get another chunk of the torrent before anyone else. There's a whole list of things it does completely the wrong way. So in short, BitVomit cheats and blatantly ignores the BitTorrent protocol in order to obtain better speeds. :(

I'm happy to hear you want to stay with µTorrent, 'cause only people out of their mind want to support and encourage the behavour that BitVomit exhibits. BitTorrent is all about sharing, and sharing equally, regardless of people's preferred client choice. :)

Archived