A Couple General Questions

EvilMunky

I attempted to use the search function about this but wasn't able to find anything that was exactly what I'm looking for. So, here goes.

I've been using uTorrent for probably a year or two now and I'm still a bit confused about some of the terminology. I know the difference between a Seed and Peer, and I'm not having any speed troubles or anything, but lets assume the following hypothetical situation.

Lets say under Seeds it says 15(250) and for Peers 35(128). I know the number in parenthesis is the total number of Seeds and Peers tracked by the tracker, and the first number are the ones I'm "connected to" (which I think is called the Swarm).

So, why is it when I have X number peers/seeds in my swarm, I generally am only transferring to/from a few of them at a time? I'm pretty sure I don't have any settings problems, I'm just curious is all.

Just like how you can't upload to everyone you're connected to because of the upload slot limits (and rightfully so), not every peer you're connected to needs to upload to you either (and they might not be able to because of their own upload slot limits anyway, or whatever other reason).

With numbers like that --50 connected peers-- you are only uploading to the number of peers equal to the number of upload slots you have set. That is 4 by default. You can be downloading from any/all of them as long as they have data you want (Right Click on the column headers and enable "Relevance").

That was only 1 question, unless I missed something. ;)

Archived