Distributed Share Ratio

drkandrs

To preface this, I admit that I am new to both torrents (in general, and µtorrent specifically) and this forum. Because of this, I have been doing a lot of reading throughout this forum mostly regarding etiquette, especially in regards to share ratio. I could expound further on my reasoning behind this feature request, but I think it more appropriate to waste no more time and outline the proposed feature.

My idea, as the thread title suggests, is the ability to distribute share ratio across the network. So, if some users are doing all the uploading while others are trying (unsuccessfully) to upload to return to at least a unity share ratio, some of total MB uploaded from the big seeders could be 'credited' to those who have a lesser ability to upload (or who are less preferential to connect to and are not utilizing their available upload capacity even though they are trying).

Of course, this would be an elective feature; perhaps the options dialogue for it would entail something along the lines of "distribute upload credit if share ratio exceeds xx/xx (UL/DL)" so that the user could maintain, say, a 2:1 or 3:1 share ratio and 'give away' everything beyond that.

My percieved advantage of this feature is that it would allow people share freely without choking out other people who are trying to achieve around a unity share ratio.

My percieved disadvantage of this feature is that it would assist those who download without trying to upload proportionally. Obviously, the overall share ratio of a large (as in many users in the swarm) torrent is about 1:1 (everyone downloads as someone else uploads, except for the first person) so there would have to be more criterion placed on the distribution of 'credit' (I cant think of anything else to call it) (sorry for all the parentheses) so that it is not simply credited to the person who is downloading all the time. Mainly, I think it would work best to only allow transfer of upload credit to users who are seeding the file and have a low priority in terms of people trying to connect to them (I'm not entirely clear on how the network functions so this is sort of a general description). Or, the distribution could be limited to people who are only seeding files, not downloading. Whatever the mechanics, I think it could be an interesting feature.

The disadvantages outweigh the small advantage this feature would bring, IMHO. :/ It could be made possible on a private tracker (where ratios can be constantly monitored if abused too much), but I wouldn't want this on public trackers, as this would mean leecher-heaven for leechers and seeder-hell for seeders. And we all need to help seeders first (well most of us anyway). :|

Archived