How is file integrity checked when downloading to a network drive?

Bunnyh

I have a 1Gbps LAN that has been known to corrupt packets on some occasions, and frankly I don't think I should blindly trust even a LAN. I am also using a network drive with uTorrent, and occasionally even download files saving the directly to it. So I would like to know whether the downloaded data is checked right after being downloaded and before being written to the target location, or if it is checked only after a successful write operation? If the former case is true, then I might have some corrupted files on my network drive and not know about it, since I am only relying on uTorrent's integrity checking feature when downloading files straight to the network drive. Normally I copy RAR files over the network and unrar them on the target host so that the files are CRC checked by unrar, or just check the MD5 sums for unpacked files before and after the transfer.

µTorrent hashchecks in memory. Even when it does have to read chunks from disk, there's no way for sure to know if it's reading them from the disk or the Windows system cache.

What you can do is wait a few minutes, stop the torrent, and do a force re-check on the torrent to ensure all the data was written properly.

Archived