Can't connect to any other peer?

sooojaded

Hi all, I have been watching my torrents for sometime, and I'd like to know why the number of connections per torrent does not reach its maximum. I have a torrent that was downloading at 1.3kB/s (miserable!) from a seed in the swarm but this torrent does not connect to any other peer. The Seeds and Peers column shows 1(1) and 0(4) respectively. Another torrent shows that I am connected to the seed with the same IP address (and downloading at the same 1.3kB/s, speed fluctuates from 1-2kB/s for both torrents) plus another peer that gives me much better speeds (10kB/s). I was hoping that utorrent lets this torrent connects to some other peer to get a better speed but it doesn't. This is how I configured:

Network icon: green

DHT: enabled

Local Peer discovery: disabled

Peer Exchange: disabled

UPnP: disabled

NAT-PMP: disabled

Global maximum connections: 10

Maximum no. of connected peers per torrent: 2

Number of upload slots per torrent: 2

Upload rate: 19kB/s

Max no. of active torrents: 3

Max no. of active downloads: 2

(I have to severely limit number of connections so that my brothers would stop complaining about laggy DOTA games, and they really did stop.)

Speed test results:

47.5kB/s (380kbps) down, 32.8kB/s (262kbps) up, 39ms ping from www.speedtest.net

Sigh I really wished that seed configured his settings properly, if not the speed wouldnt be so pathetic.

Try these settings:

DHT: disabled (the MASS UDP packets DHT makes is probably causing lag for your brother)

Peer Exchange: enabled

Global maximum connections: 30

Maximum no. of connected peers per torrent: 14

Number of upload slots per torrent: 2

Upload rate: 19kB/s

Max no. of active torrents: 3

Max no. of active downloads: 2

Even these settings are more conservative than listed in my speed guide (2nd link in my signature) for 224 kbit/sec upload.

Hmm the situation doesn't change. It seems that some peers are unwilling to connect to any other than the seed, if not the speed wouldn't be so bad. I did connect to a peer that gives me a good speed for a short while, after which we do not upload anything to each other. I'm guessing the pieces that we both have are the same. I just have to wait for myself to get a piece from the seed very slowly to upload to the peer at a high rate or vice versa. It's alright. Thanks for your suggestion though.

By the way, I tried your settings earlier and they started to complain again. We argued so much they plucked out the antenna so I could not use wireless. Haiz I can never download my torrents peacefully =(. Not blaming, but its just like that. Wish I had my own internet or smth. Even then...all the ISPs shape traffic...might be paying for worse results. In the end, I set Global max to 10, per torrent to 3. and active torrents 2, active downloads 1. If I get a 10-20kB/s down speed...very happy already. If I upload at 19kB/s they start to complain. How do I thank the ppl that gives me this torrent?

Archived