Newbie Q on seeds - down speed? Just for info . . .

Gwarfon

OK, I've got one file 100% downloaded and 2 in progress. The one that's finished has changed its status to "seed," which is good, that means it's available to others.

So far so good.

What puzzles me is that from time to time the "seed" file shows minor download activity, usually between 0.1 and 0.4 kbps. Why would anything be downloading for this file? Shouldn't it be all upstream once I've got the complete file?

semi-related: on one of the files I'm pulling down, it shows 4(6) under seeds. If I understand the way uT works, this means that I'm connected to 4 seeds out of a total of only 6 found out there in cyberspace - is this correct? It seems like a really small number for the total...

Thx 4 xplainin!

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Why_does_it_show_download_speed_when_seeding.3F

You're seeing overhead. In order to upload data, µTorrent needs to know what data other peers need/want. In order to know, those peers need to tell µTorrent. In order for µTorrent to receive such information from peers, it needs to download the data requests from those peers. That's what you're seeing.

And yes, 4 (6) means you're connected to 4 of 6 available seeds. It's a small amount, but that's probably because the torrent isn't very popular (whether that's due to lack of interest, or age of torrent, I don't know).

Archived