Help a newb who has read the guide

csice

I have read all of the guide and have my ports forwarded, so I am not quite sure what is wrong, but in the meantime, I would like some help on the speed guide settings. I am not good with rate conversions and would appreciate some help on setting this up or setting it up manually. I also find that my upload speeds vary widely in speed tests. Thanks

Trying to use uTorrent from inside a college or university LAN can be an exercise in frustration, particularly if it is completely blocked.

Even if it's not blocked, you will probably need more conservative settings than you would on an equally fast line dedicated to just you.

So how much do you know about your connection?

What's the measured up and down speeds?

Monthly/daily use limits?

Peak hour restrictions?

Ya, I'm at Marshall University. I really don't know about the connection. I sent an email to the UCS, but who knows how long that will take to get a response. I am also using a Belkin Wireless G router. My rates fluctuate a lot, which is something I was hoping to get an answer for. Yesterday, in a few tests, I was getting an upload speed of over 4500. When using the four closest servers, I get:

Down: 14500, 13000, 10600, 16700

Up:3500, 2900, 3500, 4000

Use no higher than the 2 megabit/second upload settings in the 2nd link of my signature.

Because of your router (being BOTH wireless and Belkin), you will probably need to disable:

DHT, LPD, UPnP, NAT-PMP, and Resolve IPs.

Also you'll probably need to reduce global and per-torrent max connections to 100 OR LESS!

Ok. Well I did get an answer:

We have a 400Mb internet connection to the internet and a 400Mb backup link. At current load and traffic we generally see these download/upload speeds.

TEST_DATE

11/19/2008 8:32 PM GMT

DOWNLOAD_SPEED

34654 kb/s

21431 kb/s

41 ms

UPLOAD_SPEED

35585 kb/s

53704 kb/s

33 ms

SERVER_NAME

Cincinnati, OH

DISTANCE

~ 100 mi

We currently do not have any restrictions for any traffic that isn't P2P.

Archived