port problem

rexdimos

ok my problem is:

i am the administrator of a network with 15 pc

the server is a pc with windows 2003 sp2 and isa server 2000

i have managed to successful open a port for utorrent at the server (port 45100) and i have always a green tick in utorrent

but i have no be able to open the same port at one other pc of the network

the router is a vigor 2700vg

is any one hear know how can i open the same port at another pc of my network??

Just to confirm: you want to setup 2 different computers on the same network to use uTorrent on the same port, and forward traffic to both of them through the router?

If so, you might need to revisit basic networking. It can't be done. You would need to configure the computers to use different ports and forward as appropriate.

no the idea is to open the ports for example 45000-45010 at the router so i can assign these ports to pc`s at the network the final result will be that with one router we have multiple pc with open ports for utorrent i know that i can not assign the same port to all pc`s in network i am not stupid

You can't just open them though. You need to forward them to the correct PC. Assuming a 192.168.1.0/24 addressing scheme, you'd need to forward port 45000 to 192.168.0.1, port 45001 to 192.168.0.2, port 45002 to 192.168.0.3, and so on. You can't forward a range to multiple PC's or just open them and hope all the data gets through.

Your statement isn't clear where you're having a problem, so forgive me for "dumbing things down". You did say "but i have no be able to open the same port at one other pc of the network". It sounded like you were trying to get 1 port to multiple PC's. Now I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. If you made it work for one, repeat that process on the others.

ok we have 3 steps for port forward when we have 2 or above pc`s with server and isa

1.we open the udp/tcp ports at the router ex.45000 for the pc that is the server and 45001 for another pc i have done these th router is a vigor2700 vg

2.we set the adjustments for those two ports at isa server program

3.we go at the other pc we set the 45001 number port at utorrent and at the windows firewall as exceptions

4.here is the problem the port 45000 at the server has opened(green tick)but the port at the other pc 45001 has not(yellow tic) this problem i try to fix is there another adjustment i have to make at the router ?

ISA does not forward ports. It publishes servers. While it can route traffic with long, convoluted configurations, that's not really what it was designed for. Having a "Security" server routing torrent traffic is a bit of an oxymoron. Do you trust your users that much? ISA is generally only implemented when a Windows-happy shop wants a proxy server to restrict web browsing (in my experience). So users can't be trusted to browse responsibly, but they can download torrents freely?

You will have a hard time making this work. Especially with ISA 2000. If you had 2006, it might be a little simpler, but still very difficult. I'm surprised you got the first one to work. What "adjustments" did you make on ISA to get port 45000 to work? Are you running ISA in integrated mode or firewall mode? Is there a reason your users need to use uTorrent on their own machines? Do you have other servers in this setup? Domain Controller? Fileserver? If so, could you have 1 version of uTorrent installed on the fileserver and have the users on a web interface or one of the WebUI frontends? You're making life very difficult for yourself, as well as drastically reducing the security of your network.

You're getting well beyond the scope of uTorrent support with your issue. You're entering the realm of Microsoft support with your ISA server. I'd call them. And be quick. Only 2 years left before ISA 2000's lifecycle is over and even they stop supporting it.

<<Do you trust your users that much?>> yes completely

1.i have create packet filters for tcp/udp with the port number 45000 as fixed port

2.i have create protocol definition for port 45000 tcp/udp

3.i run isa server in firewall mode

4.there are no other servers or file server in network

5.so after all these i also forward the port at the router

and i get i green tick in server for these port

at the router-isa configuration i have opened another port 45001

i assign these port at a pc with the utorrent program and when i test the port at speed guide the result is that these port is open when i try to download a torrent i have no manage to get a green tick in tha pc these is the strange think and the problem that i have not been able to solve

<<as well as drastically reducing the security of your network>> i do this for experimental reason i will not let these ports open all the time or i will open them with my supervise

Archived