Download speed very slow, not sure about firewalls. HELP!

kmh2536

Please help. My download speed is very, very slow. My connection indicator switches from green to yellow all the time. I test if my port is open and it says no but I cant figure out where I'm supposed to go when I click on the suggested website.

I dont know if my firewall is interfering because I dont know how to check. I am running Windows Vista and when I type in "firewall" in the search section of the start menu it brings up Windows Firewall. I am also running McAfee Security Centre as my antivirus but I dont know if this has anything to do with it.

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out some of the posts on here, can someone give me a simple, step by step process to find out what is slowing my download and how to fix it without opening my computer up to unwanted internet files?

Thank you.

Ok well lets start off with ur indicator.

Do u know what kind of router you have? I have a Billion BiPAC 7100. It will say somewhere on the router itself.

Best way to get to the portfoward website is through utorrent. then it keeps it simple

Options > Speed Guide > Test if port is forwared properly. It should say no and give u a link. Go there. Find your router. Follow the steps clearly. Should be easy.

Try that first. see if that fixes ur problem

Ok. I tried that before but I was looking for the model of my wireless receiver, not the router so I have now found the correct setup procedure.

However, I am still having problems.

I am running a Belkin F5D7230-4 router. I have opened up that setup procedure from the portforward website. I have set up a static IP address.

But it's the next step I have problems with. I am supposed to see a login page but all I get is Internet Explorer telling me it cannot display the webpage when I enter in the IP address. I have tried both the router's original IP address and the Static IP address I just created, both give me the same result.

Is there any way to contact portfoward for help on why this is happening?

Most Belkin routers are really crap.

Don't forward UDP on them, it'll just aggravate their problems.

Try disabling DHT (both kinds), Local Peer Discovery, UPnP, NAT-PMP, and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS tab window of an active torrent.)

Install latest firmware for your router.

Limit number of simultaneous connections (both global and per-torrent) in uTorrent to 100 OR LESS.

2nd link in my signature gives uTorrent settings based on your max UPLOAD speed.

Archived